BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. 1st time poster. I've got a 2011 550i Msport with the 10 pin controller. My issue is that the screen just starts flashing through menus and you can't control it. The controller seems to operate properly. Sometimes you can get to the screen you want and it will work, but mostly is flashes to the phone book screen. Also the backup cam will now work when it's doing this. The controller with 10 pins is over $400 so before i replace it, could it be the control module in the trunk? Anybody ever see anything like this?

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, sometimes you can't turn the blower fan speed up. The lights show you increasing the speed, but the fan stays on low. May or may not be related.

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
If you have AUTO selected...then the fan speed buttons have a different functionality. They become “maximum intensity” buttons in AUTO mode...which means the fan will only blow as high as what you have set (when needed) to maintain the temperature you have set/displayed. If the cabin is at the temp you have set when in AUTO mode...and you increase the intensity...the blower may not increase since the cabin is at the set temperature.

If you deselect AUTO mode...then when you press the fan speed buttons, the fan will increase decrease at your touch of the buttons.

The owners manual discusses this if you need a better explanation...see INTENSITY OF AUTO PROGRAM or AIR FLOW, MANUAL from the screen shots from the owners manual below. (Disregard all of the red highights...that was done for another post a while back to answer a question in another thread) :)

Reactions: Sharkbait69

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really not concerned with the iDrive not functioning. That's the BIG problem.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,417 Posts
The big problem is you are not concerned?
As for the other he was trying to help with an issue you asked about.

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big problem is you are not concerned?
As for the other he was trying to help with an issue you asked about.
Sorry, autocorrect... it should have said more instead of not. The problem is the iDrive. I mentioned the blower in case it would help with diagnostics.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,417 Posts
I have seen many posts of the controller going bad but none in that way.
Also many about IDrive going bad but none like yours.
I would have to guess it is a software problem.
The first step in most things with these cars is having the error codes read with something that can read bmw codes specifically.

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen many posts of the controller going bad but none in that way.
Also many about IDrive going bad but none like yours.
I would have to guess it is a software problem.
The first step in most things with these cars is having the error codes read with something that can read bmw codes specifically.

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,001 Posts
Worth buying a used 10pin idrive controller on eBay to see if it fixes your issue - I would hope that is the issue

·
Registered
2011 550i M-Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. So i pulled the controller and it was corroded. I cleaned the pins and the unit worked for about a week. Now, the main selector does nothing when depressed. I'm being that they are corroded again as i didn't seal it in any way. Some of the pins were almost completely gone. I'm going to pull and clean again. Any recommendations on what i can put on it to stop the corrosion from reforming?

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,004 Posts
Obvious something was spilled in there once or several times in the past. If spilling occurs in the future immediately remove, clean and dry... Sounds like a new Unit is needed now in any case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts