BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone --

I just purchased an '04 645Ci, and have a question about the service menu in the iDrive. The system states that I have 16,000 miles left on my front brakes. How is that determined? Is it just a miles countdown from when the system was last reset for the front brakes, or does it know I have approx 16,000 miles left before the pads are worn out? I'm asking because I have noticed some squeaking, and am wondering if the brakes need to be replaced.

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
its just an estimate, it all comes down to how your driving habits are.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My guess is that it is a contdown from last reset, with an average lifespan of the breaks under average/normal driving conditions. I don't think the idea is to wait until "0" but use the number as a reference against your cars perfromance.

I would find it hard to believe that if it's saying 16K miles you actually need pads now. Too big of a gap. If it were 1600 miles you probably need service. How long have you had the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the car about a week ago. It has 50,000 miles on it. The breaks don't squeak consistently and I can only notice when I have the windows rolled down. Maybe it's just normal. I'll have a friend that's more mechanically inclined to take a look at the front break pads just in case.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I bought the car about a week ago. It has 50,000 miles on it. The breaks don't squeak consistently and I can only notice when I have the windows rolled down. Maybe it's just normal. I'll have a friend that's more mechanically inclined to take a look at the front break pads just in case.
Also, the break pads have sensors that will tell you to "Check Brake Linings". In fact my X5 is show that now. The squeaking, I don't think means the pads are gone. It just might be rust, or something trivial.

Your mechanic guy would proabably know. As a reference my X5 does squeek at times as well even after new pads. In fact some replacement pads cause squeeking. In my experience with BMW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts