Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an late MY2015 X1 / F48 has anyone tried to upgrade the iDrive to the latest & greatest. I have a local dealer asking $200 to get it upgraded (and he claims that will provide Apple CarPlay support). AFAIK I am still on the CIC version or equivalent.

Wanted to know if anyone had any luck with this or recommend an alternative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2016 large non touch panel idrive and it integrates beautifully on Bluetooth music streaming. I use an Android but have had the same performance with an iPad mini. The music tiles sometimes show up on the iPad.
I would be pleasantly surprised if the 2015, 2016 idrice systems could be upgraded to Apple Play. I don't think so but will check. As I only listening to music, the 2016 system works great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On an late MY2015 X1 / F48 has anyone tried to upgrade the iDrive to the latest & greatest. I have a local dealer asking $200 to get it upgraded (and he claims that will provide Apple CarPlay support). AFAIK I am still on the CIC version or equivalent.

Wanted to know if anyone had any luck with this or recommend an alternative.
All F48 head units are ENTRYNAV or ENTRYNAV2 regardless of nav or Nav plus. They are NOT NBTevo and Apple CarPlay cannot be retrofitted to the F48 HU as fsc coding is not available (unlike for NBT evo HU). If the original F48 HU had CarPlay option encoded at build, it might work if you know VIN but I have little experience in this.

Retrofitting a NBT evo HU from another model might work (some sellers offer this option). Remember also BMW are moving to an over the air subscription service for post 2017 models and only cars with correct build options (S6UPA, plus connected services and Wi-fi) Can get subscription service through connected drive. IMHO, if you really are unhappy and want CarPlay and perhaps larger screen, BMWF4808 suggestion of going down the ***8220;android***8221; bolt-on route is easiest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts