BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 98 540i, and previously a 3 series. I was gearing up for a fun ED trip and a new 550i. Went to the dealer.
Loved the 550i... but, (like every car mag incl. car and driver) the idrive is just the worst invention in the history of bmw. OK, i know you guys will defend it, but truth be told, it sucks.
I think it is basically a deal breaker. When, oh when, will BMW give up on this and admit it is a MISTAKE! It ruins the car for me. REally. A shame considering the 550i is perfect otherwise. I don't care about "getting used to it"... I am not into "getting used to it"! It really really really is not a good thing! Geez! ARRGH. Frustrated and confused... and now looking around... E series, M45, maybe a cayman... but please, no more idrive in future BMWs! I am pleading! stop it!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I agree that it could be a little faster in reaction times and it takes some time to get to know all the twirls and pushes but so far so good. Only complaint I have is lag.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
LOL...I-Drive takes some time to get used to but it works really quite well. 15 minutes with it won't convince you but a week or two and you'll have it down and love it. Any if you post here some more and read some more, you will figure out new tricks to make it even nicer.

Hey, did the new E60 design make you gush or not? Did you have to "get used to it" or not? It certainly had to grow on me and many others but now I'm "used to it" and I love it.

It is a shame you aren't into "getting used to it" because I-Drive isn't the only cool thing about the new E60....

Have fun in your Cayman...that one is nice, too! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sbb said:
I own a 98 540i, and previously a 3 series. I was gearing up for a fun ED trip and a new 550i. Went to the dealer.
Loved the 550i... but, (like every car mag incl. car and driver) the idrive is just the worst invention in the history of bmw. OK, i know you guys will defend it, but truth be told, it sucks.
I think it is basically a deal breaker. When, oh when, will BMW give up on this and admit it is a MISTAKE! It ruins the car for me. REally. A shame considering the 550i is perfect otherwise. I don't care about "getting used to it"... I am not into "getting used to it"! It really really really is not a good thing! Geez! ARRGH. Frustrated and confused... and now looking around... E series, M45, maybe a cayman... but please, no more idrive in future BMWs! I am pleading! stop it!
Give us a break!!!!!!!! IMO I Drive is the greatest thing.
cheers
vern

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
sbb said:
No offense, but you sound old and resistant to change. iDrive, or computers for that matter are not for everyone. iDrive is just one of dozens of onboard computers. Every premium automobile has a computer screen of some sort now.

I once owned a 98 540. My biggest gripe was all the frickin buttons and ancient looking LEDs.

·
AMV Roady
7,469 Posts
sbb said:
Order a new 335 (ED) with no Idrive instead. Better looking too. So what.................you don't get the V8 but 300 ponies and a lighter more responsive, overall car, that's way more fun to drive.

·
Ich liebe mein BMW
3,701 Posts
I don't know if I should laugh or not... Saying goodbye to BMW because of iDrive? Sad really!

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,104 Posts
sbb said:
Please tell us what specific things bother you about iDrive? :dunno: Maybe we can offer some tips on making it work for you....

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Vitacura said:
I don't know if I should laugh or not... Saying goodbye to BMW because of iDrive? Sad really!
:stupid: You don't want a computer screen? :dunno: Say good bye to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac, Lexus, and every other premium brand.

Not sure what choices you have left. The computer interfaces coupled with car configurations cannot be beat by traditonal buttons.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Hmm, the OP sounds like a classic "The Press" guy. "The Press" all lambaste the I-Drive, too: complicated, slow, blah, blah, blah....

...they are right that it can be slow....

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,104 Posts
Ågent99 said:
...it can be slow....
I have rarely had a problem with my iDrive being slow. Once in a great while it will be funky, but the vast majority of the time it is as snappy as I expect it to be. ;)

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Hmm, the OP sounds like a classic "The Press" guy. "The Press" all lambaste the I-Drive, too: complicated, slow, blah, blah, blah....

...they are right that it can be slow....
+1 -

·
Registered
275 Posts
I must admit that I just shrug when people say their I drive is slow. I've had two cars with it now and no complaints in the speed of the I drive. I have to say that I acutally prefer the supposedly (according to the press) difficult and impossible I drive found in the 7 series. My favorite part of I drive is the ability to change radio stations from the controller. I know I shouldn't, but I often drive one hand on the wheel and I find it great not having to constanly reach to change the channel. Also, all of the basic controls are right at hand without needing to use the I drive: Climate Control, Radio Controls via steering wheel buttons, Seat Controls, Gear Selector. The stuff that you use everyday is right out there in front of you with good old buttons. It's all of the functions that you use infrequently that are tucked away in the i drive.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
Actually I LIKE iDrive.
The first week and during Euro Delivery I was lost, but once I spent a week with it I LOVE it.
Look at an Audi dash and all the buttons (shudder)

·
Registered
40 Posts
sbb said:
iDrive is idiot proof; you must not be.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Occasionally my iDrive will nearly refuse to let me changes bands when adjusting the EQ - other times it can seem distracted doing other tasks as well. But most times it is cool. I'd rather have it than not have it - and most people who have ridden in the car think it looks way cool.

I don't see it a make or break deal, but you know...to each his own.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can do almost all the iDrive commands via voice commands. Really no need to use iDrive if you don't want to. So, what's the excuse now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Drive

I just got my 530XI European delivery. After reading about I Drive I wondered what the fuss was all about. The answer is the I Drive is simply a computer helping with various car functions. It works well and if one is unhappy with it, I would suggest simply learning how to operate a computer.

·
Burnin up the road!
80 Posts
I must admit it did suck a lot @ 1st but as time went on and as it grew on me it started to suck a lot less,kinda like the ex
car that is:yikes:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts