Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and firstly thanks a ton for having this forum, where as a BMW owner we could learn a lot about the car and the technology behind it. Thanks again for taking the time to keep this forum going.

Now to the weird behaviour of my iDrive. I have a 320i E90 LCI. Everything was working fine with my car. Since my car was due for maintenance service, I took to the BMW dealership. After the service they said everything is good and they have done the oil service. I drive home and parked the car in the open and it was a rainy day, later that night when I started the car the iDrive wouldn't come on. I tried resetting it by pressing and holding the volume control and nothing brought it back. I could hear something whirring noise where it sounded like something is trying to start. Then scheduled another service with the dealer and they had a look at the iDrive and said they can't do anything about it as there is a after market part attached to it, when asked what part and where it was connected, they had no answers. They suggested that I take to someone else like a iDrive customization business which could have some answers.

I did not do anything with it but had a plan to take it to one of iDrive customization businesses in the next city this weekend. I had parked my car in the open again at work and today was relatively a very hot day and when I left for lunch, a few minutes later the idrive came back on automatically after the last 3 weeks, everything was working. But later when I started the car in the evening late at night it wouldn't come back on again.

I am not sure if there is some kind of a loose connection that randomly comes back on or some water damage that happened because the dealer messed up the protection of the electronics, which when hot starts working as all the water has evaporated. I have no idea where to start and some tech advise from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

I looked through the Internet but I can see the issues mostly commonly discussed are the exact opposite of mine, where iDrive works on cold weather but not when hot and they suggest checking the cooling fan. I'm clueless on what's happening...

Thanks again in advance for your answers, suggestions and help.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,176 Posts
To start with, more details are better.
For example no am guessing you are outside of the U.S.
Which is fine but different options were offered in different countries and there are a few versions of IDrive which can make a difference.
I would suspect the dealership seem something different about yours without taking it apart which usually makes them decline.
Anything like that? Software, a connection or port?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts