BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why do people hate IDrive so much and IDrive having poor reviews? Only time I've tried IDrive was for a brief moment when I was in the market for the 545i and I see no problems with the function. Isn't it just a learning curve and once you master it it's no big deal? Heck, even the MB W221 Class has something similar.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
The articles and reviews are from years ago when the first generation iDrive came out.

Do a search, this topic has been covered including polls.

Look at it this way, if iDrive sucked so bad it would not be standard on the 5/6/7 and optional on the 3.

I like it. However, there is room for improvement. In its current form I would rather have it than not.:thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't hate it but I do have a few suggestions for BMW:
1. Speed it up! Too damn slow and unresponsive.
2. Better resolution on the screen.
3. Make the detents when scrolling a list more of a slight click than a huge kick-back. It makes list scrolling way too slow on long lists (like MP3 DVDs)
4. Get rid of all the climate controls on the dash and put them in iDrive. Doesn't make sense. Why have no radio controls and so much climate control?
5. Give me a simple 'back' button....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Most of these articles are from the first generation, when car magazines with their eighty year old dinosaur editors reviewed i drive and collapsed in shock.. After this, most of them just dredge up their old articles and copy and paste their first gen i drive gripes into any article about BMW's with i drive..

BTW, I actually do not think that the first gen i drive was bad at all. If you can use an i pod, you can operate an i drive, if you cant do either.. you shouldnt be on the road

And popular science says flying cars will be coming soon... I fall out of my seat laughing whenever i hear about this..

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
sandiegobob said:
I don't hate it but I do have a few suggestions for BMW:
1. Speed it up! Too damn slow and unresponsive.
2. Better resolution on the screen.
3. Make the detents when scrolling a list more of a slight click than a huge kick-back. It makes list scrolling way too slow on long lists (like MP3 DVDs)
4. Get rid of all the climate controls on the dash and put them in iDrive. Doesn't make sense. Why have no radio controls and so much climate control?
5. Give me a simple 'back' button....
1. It can be faster but I don't find the speed annoying. Once iDrive it configured to my liking, I use the sterring/dash buttons and voice.
2. Resolution is fine with me. Although screens are always improving.
3. Large playlists would be an issue for any system. Even iPODs.
4. Not sure about this one. I like the climate on the dash.
5. iDrive has a back button. Hold the controller in the direction of the menu you are in for a couple seconds.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Why the 6er Forum?

TWC said:
So why do people hate IDrive so much and IDrive having poor reviews? Only time I've tried IDrive was for a brief moment when I was in the market for the 545i and I see no problems with the function. Isn't it just a learning curve and once you master it it's no big deal? Heck, even the MB W221 Class has something similar.
The real question is why did you feel the need to come to the 6 Series thread and post such the question?

iDrive made it's debut in the 7 Series and later in all models. Perhaps the honor of your question to the 6 Series sub-forum is enough and perhaps you felt the intellectual capital seems to focus here or this is the nanny area...

Who knows why you decided on our sub-forum.:dunno:

People who state they hate the iDrive are the same people (Type) who have problems with the one constant in the world 'Change'.

In the end iDrive 1.0 is JUST THAT 1.0. The current version 4.0 (My numbering) is far better than many other systems out there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
iDrive is alright...I actually get pissed off whwen in another car (rental etc) and all these damn buttons drive me nuts...could be quicker definitely....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well IDrive when it was first introduced on the 7 series had alot of problems right?
I think thats what made the critics say what they did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gbelton said:
The real question is why did you feel the need to come to the 6 Series thread and post such the question?.
Because I'm in the market for a '05 645 or '06 650 (went with my friend to place a deposit on his 335Ci and the 6 series caught my eye at the dealership):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157627

....and this will be my first BMW. From the short stint test driving a 545i a few years ago, I found nothing wrong with the system but want to know the facts from "real users" before I purchase the 6.

Thanks guys for the info!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
TWC said:
So why do people hate IDrive so much and IDrive having poor reviews? Only time I've tried IDrive was for a brief moment ....
Part of the problem is journalists spending 10 seconds with iDrive, thinking it's too complicated for their little brains to aborb. In short, the reviews are based not on sufficient time and experience.

iDrive is good in theory but not perfect in execution. I like it because it hasn't played up on me at all but there are some little annoyances such as the slower response times on certain items. Prefer it to be faster. Can't they just put in a "bigger and more powerful chip"? :dunno: When you get used to the integration of many of the buttons/functions into one system, you'll find it annoying with other cars having their millions of buttons everywhere.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love technology , and for the most part like idrive. I know very well how to use it. there definately are some bugs to the system. BMW's are driver focused , but for my wife who usually controls the radio when i am driving , the idrive is a pain. Especially if your passanger wants to change the radio mode from lets say cd to fm. They need to make about 4 or more movements with the idrive stick and the processor takes a a couple of seconds between steps. This is not very good design. There is no mode button on the radio. Of course the driver can use a steering wheel button to change the radio mode but the passanger loses control. The voice command is another option , but it does not always work right. These problems would be erased with the mode button on the radio. The above is just an example of how the idrive is not as effecient as having a beter design.

With all that said, I like the idrive and know that it will only improve with time. The benefits definately outweigh the shortcomings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sandiegobob said:
Hi everyone, I made an account just because I read that this morning....

MP3 DVDs??? I've always wondered why there was an option of CD/DVD in the menu, but I had no idea whether or not the drive was actually a DVD drive. I thought that only the NAV drive was a DVD drive, so are you saying that the player drive is also a DVD drive?!

If so... its time to throw away a lot of CDs and make a DVD... Thanks! :thumbup:

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
DVD Drive

hstar said:

MP3 DVDs??? I've always wondered why there was an option of CD/DVD in the menu, but I had no idea whether or not the drive was actually a DVD drive. I thought that only the NAV drive was a DVD drive, so are you saying that the player drive is also a DVD drive?!

If so... its time to throw away a lot of CDs and make a DVD... Thanks! :thumbup:
You can make a CD-MP3 and play music, online books or whatever audio and play it in your DVD drive. Can you make a DVD-MP3, etc... Haven't try that but good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah, I've been making a few MP3 CD's... but a MP3 DVD would definitely be much more appealing to me if its possible... maybe I should just try it out.... until I turn a DVD into a coaster :mad: :cry:

:bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
hstar said:

Cobradav (Sir Launchalot, Prince of Electrons, Official Interpreter of the SIBs) knows all there is to know about this and has posted about it - do a search. If I remember Cobra's post (I haven't done it) you have to boot with the nav DVD then switch after you've gotten past the accept screen. I think he's using a DL-DVD.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
chicagolab said:
I love technology , and for the most part like idrive. I know very well how to use it. there definately are some bugs to the system. BMW's are driver focused , but for my wife who usually controls the radio when i am driving , the idrive is a pain. Especially if your passanger wants to change the radio mode from lets say cd to fm. They need to make about 4 or more movements with the idrive stick and the processor takes a a couple of seconds between steps. This is not very good design. There is no mode button on the radio. Of course the driver can use a steering wheel button to change the radio mode but the passanger loses control. The voice command is another option , but it does not always work right. These problems would be erased with the mode button on the radio. The above is just an example of how the idrive is not as effecient as having a beter design.

With all that said, I like the idrive and know that it will only improve with time. The benefits definately outweigh the shortcomings.
EVen though you are a 3er owner, you are Lord Wrigley, Cub Fan and Court Jester.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Boxboss said:
Cobradav (Sir Launchalot, Prince of Electrons, Official Interpreter of the SIBs) knows all there is to know about this and has posted about it - do a search. If I remember Cobra's post (I haven't done it) you have to boot with the nav DVD then switch after you've gotten past the accept screen. I think he's using a DL-DVD.
Actually after a little more study on the issue I use the following as a precautionary method for dealing with the MP3 DVDs in the Nav Drive. I simply change the audio source to anything other than CD/DVD prior to shutting off the engine. That way it is not trying to read the DVD when I start up. It's just a precaution due to my bad experience of killing iDontDrive.

So CD with MP3s in the CD drive and MP3 DVDs up to DLDVDs in the Nav (DVD) Drive. Plenty of music

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
We're Not Worthy...

:bow:The Master Jedi has spoken.:bow:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I'm sure you 6er guys with families haven't noticed, but earlier versions of the iDrive had a category in the destination for "adult entertainment". After a few iDrive upgrades, I noticed they removed the category, when I... uh... wanted some entertainment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts