·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This 540 has lived it's life in Southern Calif. (so, no rust).

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
Prod. Date 2003-05-05

Transmission Automatic
Colour STERLINGGRAU METALLIC (472)
Upholstery STANDARDLEDERGRAU (N6TT)

P337A M Sports package
S705A M sports suspension II
S710A M leather steering wheel
S715A M Aerodynamics package
S780A BMW LA wheel M parallel spoke
S785A White direction indicator lights

S403A Glass roof electrical
S456A Comfort seat with memory
S465A Throughloading system
S494A Seat heating driverpassenger
S431A Interior mirror with automaticdip
S438A Fine wood trim
S441A Smoker package
S470A IsofixSystem
S473A Armrest front

S609A Navigation system Professional
S640A Preparation f telinstallation universal
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S694A Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S645A BMW US Radio

S500A Headlight wipewashIntensive cleaning
S508A Park Distance Control PDC
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S520A Fog lights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S555A Onboard computer V with remote contro

S202A Steptronic
S204A Drive layout export
S210A Dynamic stability control
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel

S319A Integrated universal remote control
S326A Deleted rear spoiler
S818A Battery master switch
S302A Alarm system
S354A Green windscreen green shade band
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT
S853A Language version English
S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz

Individual equipment
S760A High gloss shadow line
S775A Headlining anthracite

Other equipment
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET
S992A Control of numberplate attachment
- Code Description interface Description EPC S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG ELEKTRMIT MEMORY Seat adjuster electric with memory S464A SKISACK Ski bag S488A LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRERBE
- S459A
- S464A
- S488A

Available Upgrades
- E39 BLACK GRILL
- E39 ANDROID MULTIMEDIA PLAYER

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, Burning2nd!

And, yep, seneal4600 - these cars are quite fun to drive...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 540 is sold.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The 540 is sold.
Thanks.
That's a beautiful car, I am sure the buyer is getting a nice ride. This car is almost identical to mine in terms of options. Rare comfort seats with M-Sport. Mine has shades which is the only difference option wize.

I could not find your offering price and am curious what you were asking or what you got if you are comfortable disclosing. Mine had 92k miles on it as well when I bought it, so I am curious.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What will you be getting to replace it?
I actually sold the 2003 540i M-Sport & my 2000 740i sport.
I replaced them with a 2017 Tesla Model S 100D with an Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty).

The Tesla is quite a totally different car (which is what I was looking for having owned BMWs since 1987).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's a beautiful car, I am sure the buyer is getting a nice ride. This car is almost identical to mine in terms of options. Rare comfort seats with M-Sport. Mine has shades which is the only difference option wize.

I could not find your offering price and am curious what you were asking or what you got if you are comfortable disclosing. Mine had 92k miles on it as well when I bought it, so I am curious.
Thanks for the compliment Joe! The buyer appeared very happy as he drove off.

My asking price was $7,000 (which was in the header of my actual For Sale post in the link to BimmerFest).
I got very, very close to my asking price. I think we were both happy with the sale.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Joe! The buyer appeared very happy as he drove off.

My asking price was $7,000 (which was in the header of my actual For Sale post.

I got very, very close to my asking price. I think we were both happy with the sale.

Thanks. I must have missed that. I paid $8750 via bring a trailer. I may have paid a slight premium. It was clean though like yours.. The market for these cars is all over the place.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-28/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Joe - yours looks like it's in fantastic shape.
I had a need to sell mine (at the time I put it up for sale, we had 5 cars with only 3 drivers), and only a 2 car garage. I was tired of moving cars to avoid street sweeping tickets, and just wanted to move on.
That said, my 540 did spend the last 9 years living in front of the house & the roof's paint showed that. No clear coat peeling, but the paint underneath wasn't getting any better.

I got a little interest from the boards, but after I placed the ad in cars.com & craigslist, it basically sold that weekend.
Time for me to enjoy my new ride.

But the price you paid is right inline with the prices I researched on via the boards. But, you never really know the condition inside & out until you look at the car live & check out the interior, and go for a drive.

Yours looks like one of the really nice ones. Congrats.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Joe - yours looks like it's in fantastic shape.
I had a need to sell mine (at the time I put it up for sale, we had 5 cars with only 3 drivers), and only a 2 car garage. I was tired of moving cars to avoid street sweeping tickets, and just wanted to move on.
That said, my 540 did spend the last 9 years living in front of the house & the roof's paint showed that. No clear coat peeling, but the paint underneath wasn't getting any better.

I got a little interest from the boards, but after I placed the ad in cars.com & craigslist, it basically sold that weekend.
Time for me to enjoy my new ride.

But the price you paid is right inline with the prices I researched on via the boards. But, you never really know the condition inside & out until you look at the car live & check out the interior, and go for a drive.

Yours looks like one of the really nice ones. Congrats.

Glad it all worked out for you my friend. I guess that paint fade would be something to consider. Sometime a quick easy local sale is worth a few dollars if that was the case. I have had times with too many cars in the driveway and no room in the garage.

Pulling the trigger on my car was a crap shoot in the end. The records weren’t great and the sale was from a dealer, not a known enthusiast like you. I bought mine site unseen and relied on conversation with the seller. He was a retired licensed dealer who picked up clean cars here and there and tried to flip them. I got comfortable with him and his level of honestly. Post sale I got in touch with the PO. He wouldn’t give me that info which was on the title until I received the title after wiring him the money. The auction actually closed without meeting the reserve at $8400. I came in second and reached out to him to see if we could work something out post auction. His reserve was 9000.

Post sale communication with the PO revealed my car was a third car and never driven in the winter. The PO started to chase things like we all do at these miles and beyond and he just determined it was time for a new M5. He was a stand up guy who did all the work needed retail through the dealer or an indie.

I’ve put about $5000 into the car. Probably 75% mechanical or maintenance and the other 25% cosmetic or discretionary like paint correction, tint and painted calipers.

It’s good for now. I’ve taken a break at the moment. I have a list of things I could do such as a heater control valve coolant leak which is minor so I’ve decided to just add a pinch once a month. These cars can suck you dry which is probably why the prices are so low. I’ve also learned to tackle some things myself.

My initial plan was to keep this car forever and restore it over time as needed. We will see. At some point it stops making sense financially I think. I’m thinking and always looking for an M5. Either an E39 or an F10. My only regret with my car is not opting for the 6-speed. The automatic transmission does not do the engine justice.

I’m happy with driving it with no lights or warnings. It’s been a while since I have trouble shot any codes and it’s amazing how different you feel about the car when a warning or failsafe message isn’t staring at you.

Well probably too much information for this thread. Can’t wait for summer. Snow covered dirty E39 is no fun with winter wheels. Looking forward to putting the M-pars back on with new rubber.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow Joe, the story on my car is very close to yours... I purchased mine from a retired dealer and his son in Washington state. I too was able to obtain the phone number off receipts of the P.O. Maintenance records were ok, but not as complete as Id like, but still not terrible, valve cover gasket, new battery, rebuilt ABS module and cam shaft position sensor all recently installed... I felt that was a good start.

In addition, the car was a 2 owner car that was purchased new in the same town I bought it from, and serviced by only the dealer and one indie. The car never left the town it was purchased in and I actually called the dealer and the indie to speak to them and verify everything.

Since buying mine from a few states away, still, my purchase was also a gamble... but I felt pretty confident in the purchase from speaking with the seller. His cooperation was excellent and answering every question I had and providing every picture I asked for, made me feel like it was a good purchase. I was able to negotiate the price down $700. which I felt was fair.

At this point, I have about a grand into it with new tires included. Everything works as it should except the 45-55 mph shimmy is present.... Ill deal with that in a month or two. First, Im going through the cooling system for obvious preventative measures.

Ive owned 5 BMW's up to this one, now 6... I really like these cars and I really like working on them actually. Keeps me busy in the garage on the weekends. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Wow Joe, the story on my car is very close to yours... I purchased mine from a retired dealer and his son in Washington state. I too was able to obtain the phone number off receipts of the P.O. Maintenance records were ok, but not as complete as Id like, but still not terrible, valve cover gasket, new battery, rebuilt ABS module and cam shaft position sensor all recently installed... I felt that was a good start.

In addition, the car was a 2 owner car that was purchased new in the same town I bought it from, and serviced by only the dealer and one indie. The car never left the town it was purchased in and I actually called the dealer and the indie to speak to them and verify everything.

Since buying mine from a few states away, still, my purchase was also a gamble... but I felt pretty confident in the purchase from speaking with the seller. His cooperation was excellent and answering every question I had and providing every picture I asked for, made me feel like it was a good purchase. I was able to negotiate the price down $700. which I felt was fair.

At this point, I have about a grand into it with new tires included. Everything works as it should except the 45-55 mph shimmy is present.... Ill deal with that in a month or two. First, Im going through the cooling system for obvious preventative measures.

Ive owned 5 BMW's up to this one, now 6... I really like these cars and I really like working on them actually. Keeps me busy in the garage on the weekends. :thumbup:

Very similar indeed. The PO also sent me a ton of maintenance records after the sale. The first work I had done was front struts, mounts, CL, etc. I did not have a shimmy but god do I know that well and how to chase it. E32, E38 and E65 all had it at one point. Believe it or not, a lot of times it’s the tires even after doing the bushings and control arms. I’ll never forget giving up on my chase of the shimmy, then needing tires later and splurging for Michelin’s and poof, shimmy was gone.

Good luck with your ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any one intersted in a 2003 540i sports pkg

2003 BMW 540i sports pkg - $10000 (Saratoga Springs)
2003 bmw 540i m sport
VIN: WBADN53463GF71664
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 170600
paint color: black
size: mid-size
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: sedan
Black Exterior, Black Leather Interior and Wood Trim, M Sport Package, V8, Ipad mount, 6 CD player, Heated Front Seats, 6 speed stick . About 170,600 miles. Very Good Condition. Recent service included new radiator, water pump, new power steering pump, brake master cylinder, Oil / filter service just done, brake, transmission, diff fluids. runs very strong...wasn't planning on selling it. Almost new Conti tires. Runs great. It purred coming to upstate yesterday

It is killing my husband to sell it, but we need an automatic now. We are second owner after buying it with about 20,000 miles when that owner had to give it up to buy a Hawaiian Condo.

It grew up in Westchester County New York USA, we just brought it to Saratoga Springs. Body in excellent shape. Fun to drive, it was fun driving up. Text me for photos. CASH ONLY . Don't bother us with scam proposals.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or off

1 - 20 of 44 Posts