BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are very few vehicles out there with sporty handling, a manual transmission, all-wheel drive, and enough ground clearance to get to my favorite trailheads.

What about you? If your X3 died tomorrow, would you run out and by another in the last model year of production, or would you look for something else?

Best,
James
Seattle, WA

· Registered
469 Posts
First choice would be X3, 3.0d - Again! :thumbup: (no 3.0sd available in RSA :( )
Second choice would probably be X5 3.0d
Third - Mitsibushi Pajero 3.2d SWB

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
Not if I couldn't get an MT.

I think I woulld get a 335 xi. Life is short--drive fast.

· Registered
469 Posts
Not if I couldn't get an MT.

I think I woulld get a 335 xi. Life is short--drive fast.
If not an SAV/SUV I'll probably get a 3 series.
335 would be nice :)
Wouldn't mind a 325i again either!

If we weren't living out on the farm I'd opt for a Z4. So many choices. Maybe one day when I'm bigger ...lol

· Registered
814 Posts
When I was out shopping earlier this summer and ended up with my X3, my #2 choice (to my surprise) was Subaru Forester. Similar size, similar features, 5 speed MT, but underpowered with only the non-turbo 4 cylinder engine available with the MT. But overall a nice ride and a worthy contender.

But if my X3 died tomorrow, if I knew for sure that the 2011 was not going to have MT, I'd run out and get the last production run 2010 MT to buy the longest possible future of having an X3 MT.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting question? I wonder how many bought an X3 without realizing they are not built by BMW? Do you think it would sway buyers?
I knew that, and it didn't bother me at all. Is your Dell computer really built by Dell? Or is it assembled by Dell and built by many sub-contractors?
You know what I'm saying? Manufacturing of cars, computers, and many other things is such a complex web of outsourced production, that I don't worry much about who actually built it.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
I'd go buy a hatchback. Probably a VW Golf TDI (pending test drive) or an A3 2.0T MT.

· Aficionado
3,058 Posts
I have absolutely no interest in getting another X3.
We all know that really good. :angel:

We'll get a 335Xi, EVL is right, life's too short! But that's gonna replace the 325Cic in about 2 years. The X3 is a keeper, we plan to keep it for 6 more years or 200,000 miles (what comes first :)

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
I saw the Audi Q5 - looks pretty nice from the outside. I still have to drive one.

Depending on how my X3 does over the next few years, I may have to get a MT and try to teach my wife again!

· Registered
1,052 Posts
328xi. Heard about too many HPFP failures on 335. That's the car I *can* get. The cars I would *like* to get though:

1. BMW 320d with x-drive.
2. Audi A3 TDI, if they could bring it with quattro.
3. MB CLS. The most beautiful car I have seen.

· Registered
31 Posts
The wife briefly considered a (used) Lexus SUV or Volvo XC70. She would like a Land/Range Rover, but I'm scared to death of maintaining one out of warranty. We might also consider a Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commander

We would NOT buy a 2010 X3, because we don't buy new vehicles (thanks, however, to those of you who do take 50% depreciation in 36 months so we get a like-new car for half price) :)

· BMW Enthusiast!
5,717 Posts
The wife briefly considered a (used) Lexus SUV or Volvo XC70. She would like a Land/Range Rover, but I'm scared to death of maintaining one out of warranty. We might also consider a Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Commander

We would NOT buy a 2010 X3, because we don't buy new vehicles (thanks, however, to those of you who do take 50% depreciation in 36 months so we get a like-new car for half price) :)
Suprisingly, my daughter has a Land Rover Discovery, which has been very reliable to far. It was rated pretty bad.

My wife and I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee around 14 years ago. We had bad luck on it. Transmission issues, engine mounts BROKE a few times. Traded it in at 75k miles for a Toyota! I hope their quality is better now!

I guess I keep thinking that if my X3 does not do well long term (by that I mean 150 - 200k miles) then I will probably go back to Lexus. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Audi Q5 looks nice also but I will have to see how it drives and its reliability record when I am ready to change.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.