BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Coupe OR Never
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to get oil other than the ones sold at the dealer (TwinPower Turbo), what are my current options?
Many things changed in the past few years. E46 Wiki doesn't reflect it as far as I see.

My first choice was Mobil1 0w40 but it lost its LL-01 approval. And I think Castrol isn't the supplier for BMW anymore.

So can someone please give me an option or two?

Thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
As always, Mobil 1 0W-40 will work just fine, even without that coveted LL-01 rating, especially if you maintain a far more sane change interval of 7500 miles.

Certainly nothing to lose any sleep over....

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Yep. Mobil 1 changed the base, no longer LL-01.
I'm using Castrol Edge Euro formula in 0W40. It is LL-01 certified and is made with a true synthetic base. On top of that it's downright cheap at $26 for 5 quarts from Walmart or Amazon. Note that the 5W30 version is not LL-01 certified.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Coupe OR Never
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies guys.
Yes I change oil at every 7500 (-/+ 500). I am a bit overdue this time.

At first I was thinking that lost LL-01 was just due to BMW didn't want to do business with Mobil but then checking it a bit more I realized that Mobil changed the formula slightly causing it lose the LL-01 approval. So Mobil1 0w40 is not the same one when there was a LL-01 label on the bottle. Something changed slightly there. This absolutely doesn't mean that the change is significant and new formula is inferior. It is just a formula changed a bit.
I checked the Castrol Edge on the shelves and I don't think I saw 0w40. I remember seeing Castrol Edge 5w30 and I think it was LL-01. I will check it again this weekend.

Seems I will go with either the Mobil1 or Castrol as an alternative to BMW's magical TwinTurbo formula.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thank you for the replies guys.
Yes I change oil at every 7500 (-/+ 500). I am a bit overdue this time.

At first I was thinking that lost LL-01 was just due to BMW didn't want to do business with Mobil but then checking it a bit more I realized that Mobil changed the formula slightly causing it lose the LL-01 approval. So Mobil1 0w40 is not the same one when there was a LL-01 label on the bottle. Something changed slightly there. This absolutely doesn't mean that the change is significant and new formula is inferior. It is just a formula changed a bit.
I checked the Castrol Edge on the shelves and I don't think I saw 0w40. I remember seeing Castrol Edge 5w30 and I think it was LL-01. I will check it again this weekend.

Seems I will go with either the Mobil1 or Castrol as an alternative to BMW's magical TwinTurbo formula.
I should know better than to get on my oil soapbox, but I vehemently disagree.

It is neither a slight or insignificant change. Mobil change the BASE of the oil. That's the foundation or the primary component used to make the oil. That is huge.

Think of it this way:
Cow's milk vs. almond milk
Guinness vs. Bud light
Beef patty vs. veggie patty
Different bases, same products. At the end of the day you still have milk, a beer, and a burger, but most would agree changing the base is not significant.

In the case of the Mobil1, it's still oil, it still qualifies as a synthetic (although the new base is no longer a true synthetic), it won't kill your engine, but it's no longer certified LL-01 for a reason. They switched to a lower grade base, and they did it for profits.

Mobil is not going to walk away from the BMW market, LL-01 is old news and they're on to the newer stuff. I am sure Mobil will come up with an LL-04 certified oil soon if they have not already, I have not needed to look. They actually have a great LL-04 diesel version that I use in the X5 because that is very high quality oil for that application.

I do agree the Wiki should be updated in regards to current LL-01 oil list, and maybe add an alternative oil column with some background info. Not sure if non mods can submit edits.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
I do agree the Wiki should be updated in regards to current LL-01 oil list, and maybe add an alternative oil column with some background info. Not sure if non mods can submit edits.
Thanks for the input, I didn`t realize the change was so significant !

The E46 Wiki is set up to allow editing by all group members. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thanks for the input, I didn`t realize the change was so significant !

The E46 Wiki is set up to allow editing by all group members. :thumbup:
That's good to know. I'll see about editing oil section a bit during the weekend. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If I were to get oil other than the ones sold at the dealer (TwinPower Turbo), what are my current options?
Many things changed in the past few years. E46 Wiki doesn't reflect it as far as I see.

My first choice was Mobil1 0w40 but it lost its LL-01 approval. And I think Castrol isn't the supplier for BMW anymore.

So can someone please give me an option or two?

Thanks
Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 or 8100 X-MAX 0W-40. 1 Liter or 5 Liter, Amazon Prime

·
Registered
2003 330i 5 manual gears
16 Posts
I went with "non-BMW" oil right after I bought my 330, three years ago. I use AMSOil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP. I could use 5W-30, but I figured 5W-40 is better in this South Florida area. Haven't had any troubles with the oil, so I reckon it's good stuff for the Bimmer. It was using more oil than I thought it ought, but after I replaced the OFHG with a quality Viton (by DuPont) gasket thing. It doesn't use (burn?) much oil. No apparent damage in 40,000 miles, so I'm liking it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I purchased a high mile e46 and e39 (185k and 195k respectively) and both owners used non-bmw oil. they have it serviced at indy shop who used valvoline 5w30 (e46) and who knows what kind of 5w30 oil walmart uses (in e39)
I think this talk about LL01 and bmw specific oil is pure BS, any good quality oil will just do fine as long as you are anal with the upkeep of the vehicle (frequent oil changes and no overheating, misfires, vacuum leaks, etc..)... you have more chances of a leak in your cooling system than the engine breaking down because it's not castrol from the BMW dealership.

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,625 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T6 in my car.

"Bruh. That's diesel oil."

Yeah. And Blackstone Labs has provided test results to show it comes out almost as clean as it went in, even after 10,000 miles. The downside is that if your car burns oil, it will clog up your cats that much faster due to the high levels of additives. However, after a couple oil changes, some people report oil burning decreased or stopped completely (maybe not with E46's, but with other cars). There's an entire thread on E46Fanatics about it.

Upon letting the oil cycle through my engine and get warmed up thoroughly, my car felt like it pulled more smoothly to redline (maybe it's just in my head).

·
Registered
345 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T6 in my car.

"Bruh. That's diesel oil."

Yeah. And Blackstone Labs has provided test results to show it comes out almost as clean as it went in, even after 10,000 miles. The downside is that if your car burns oil, it will clog up your cats that much faster due to the high levels of additives. However, after a couple oil changes, some people report oil burning decreased or stopped completely (maybe not with E46's, but with other cars). There's an entire thread on E46Fanatics about it.

Upon letting the oil cycle through my engine and get warmed up thoroughly, my car felt like it pulled more smoothly to redline (maybe it's just in my head).
yep Jeep (WJ) owners love that oil, never thought that diesel oil was that good on gasoline engine.

https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46/

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I run whatever is on sale on my 530i and 330i. I've run everything from conventional Mobil Super to Mobil One, a ton of synthetic blends and even Rotella T6. The 530i is almost at 200k and the 330i is at 123k now and I've changed the oil twice in it so far since I bought it a few months ago. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 the first time and then Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 the 2nd time. I think I'm running a semi synthetic Castrol blend in the 530i that was on super clearance at autozone for $10 a jug.

The oil doesn't matter, just change it when it's due and be on top of OCI's!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
And to add, the Rotella T6 is awesome because it has high zinc content which is excellent at preventing engine wear. Newer oils are cutting down on ZDDP for better emissions numbers and to prevent premature cat failures.

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,237 Posts
I'm hooked on Molygen currently. New oil from Liqui Moly, fantastic additive package and it is UV sensitive so it'll glow under a blacklight (great for finding leaks!)

-James

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
I'm hooked on and it is UV sensitive so it'll glow under a blacklight (great for finding leaks!)
-James
That feature alone makes it worth the purchase price ! :thumbup: :rofl:

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,237 Posts
That feature alone makes it worth the purchase price ! :thumbup: :rofl:
I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many guys that bought it just to help find their leaks. I'll see if I can get permissions to share some of the epic pics I've been sent (valve covers spraying it all over etc)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many guys that bought it just to help find their leaks. I'll see if I can get permissions to share some of the epic pics I've been sent (valve covers spraying it all over etc)
I suspect my engine will light up like a Xmas tree. I think i need some! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts