BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was worried that my new 2022 M440 Gran Coupe (G26) had an air conditioner refrigerant leak already, or worse. It woudn't get cold enough to keep up with the summer heat unless I kept it on MAX, and even then it seemed too warm. But there was nothing wrong with the AC -- it was my setting, buried in the user settings for Vehicle Climate Control, for the warm air mixture pushed all the way to the red (right) side. (I had done that in mid-winter when I wanted AC to dry out the air and reduce inside fogging on the windows, but also wanted it to keep as warm as possible.)

After moving the indicator all the way to the cold side on the screen (or using the iDrive control knob), the AC blows much colder and works perfectly!

So if you have a weak air conditioner, first check this setting. On older models it was a knurled wheel on the dash between the middle vents, with blue dashed lines on one side and red on the other. Now it's buried in the Vehicle/Climate Control Settings submenus.

Thanks to my salesman Matt at BMW of Nashville for immediately suggesting this simple fix and saving me a lot of trouble.

· Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,912 Posts
My car is a '22 540i, with the "electronic" red/blue dial, and I've had several previous BMW's with the physical dial, much preferred. My wife has a '22 330i, which I assume is set up like a 440i. There is a button right on the HVAC control panel, "Menu A/C", which takes you right to the area of the so-called red/blue dial setting. I wouldn't exactly call that "buried" in the iDrive settings. My 540i also has a "Menu" button on the HVAC panel taking you directly to the A/C settings. I am glad you found the fix.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I have the physical dial on my 2018 and it still took me months before I realized what it's for 😂

· Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,912 Posts
I have the physical dial on my 2018 and it still took me months before I realized what it's for 😂
OK... Hopefully you understand the exact functionality. It is to alter, or override, the HVAC-determined air temp delivered to the center vents. Some people incorrectly think you have to continually adjust that dial in heat or A/C season, this is incorrect. Left in its central, or "neutral" position, the air coming from those vents will be altered automatically by the HVAC program, as with all the other vents. You only need to dial toward red or blue if you want to modify what the HVAC "decided" to send through the vents. Point is, you don't have to put it toward blue in summer and red in winter.

Reactions: ctcarbonari

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Good to know. Yup, I generally keep it slightly in the blue most of the time to blow cooler air on my face. I assume the other vents' temperature is controlled by the HVAC. E.g., blowing at 72 degrees.

· Registered
2015 BMW 535i
399 Posts
You only need to dial toward red or blue if you want to modify what the HVAC "decided" to send through the vents. Point is, you don't have to put it toward blue in summer and red in winter.
I, have been one of those people (@ continuously adjusting dial from blue-red & vice versa).
Always thought it seemed strange to me.

Thank You for solving this "mystery".

I'm always learning something new on this site.

· Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
1,237 Posts
My car is a '22 540i, with the "electronic" red/blue dial, and I've had several previous BMW's with the physical dial, much preferred. My wife has a '22 330i, which I assume is set up like a 440i. There is a button right on the HVAC control panel, "Menu A/C", which takes you right to the area of the so-called red/blue dial setting. I wouldn't exactly call that "buried" in the iDrive settings. My 540i also has a "Menu" button on the HVAC panel taking you directly to the A/C settings. I am glad you found the fix.
The nice thing about the digital setting is it is now tied to your profile. So stays the same between you and your spouse alternating driving duties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts