BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ignition coil purchase help {Please}

1801 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Cancar123
Recently one of the ignition coils went bad in my 2008 BMW e91 (touring) and I replaced it with a local brand myself. I don't want to have it running for long, just so that I wont end up having an issue again when I am far from town, so I would like to replace all 4 of the ignition coils with 'BOSCH' ignition coils. I see that the part number on my ignition coil was 0221504100.
I had a few questions:

- When I looked on realoem.com, with the details I provided I get a different part number. I get these numbers: 12138616153, 12137575010 (12/15/2006 ? ), Exchangeable retrospectively, 12137550012. So, do any of these work on my vehicle? They actually look different when I look at the pictures in the internet from what I have on my car.
- Can I buy any ignition coil with the above part numbers? Although they look different than the one that I currently have.
- Is BOSCH really better than a local brand?
- How much should I be pay typically?
- I think I noticed there are 4 coils. Am I right?
- Are pre-owned ones any good?
- Is there anything else I need to take into account while buying?
- Should I consider changing the spark plugs too?

Please suggest.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
An issue: This board's located in California; no 4 cyl BMW's sold here, 2009.

- Not having specs on local brand, dunno!
- What's a Kiwi dollar worth, USD?
- 4 cyl = 4 coils, yessir
- NOOOOOO!**
- Stay away from Chinese coils
- Yes - an inexpensive pre-emption

** Personification, used coil performance:
Face Facial expression Head Forehead Human
- Is BOSCH really better than a local brand?
- How much should I be pay typically?
- I think I noticed there are 4 coils. Am I right?
- Are pre-owned ones any good?
- Is there anything else I need to take into account while buying?
- Should I consider changing the spark plugs too?

Please suggest.
Thank you.. Taken note of chinese brands :)
I'd like to know how much would you pay for an ignition coil in USD and spark plugs even. Regardless of local brand specs, is BOSCH reliable in general?

- NOOOOOO!**

View attachment 709969
Pretty much have to echo was CAL said. Especially the last point - if you're doing coils, do plugs as well while you're there. Gets both items done at the same time and you don't have to worry about them for a while.

BOSCH is the OEM part for the ignition coil. Bosch and NGK can both be OEM for the spark plug. They apparently alternated from year to year, so no idea what your particular car's OEM is. But either will work.

Here's what I would be paying for my model's ignition coils:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/bmw,2008,328xi,3.0l+l6,1442504,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

If that helps you at all.
I have an N51 (I6) and I just replaced the hodgepodge in there (four OEM coils with ripped hats, Bosch P/N ending in 467; two Chinese coils) with Bosch's OEM equivalent from RockAuto (P/N ending in 470, perfect fit). Cost me 18 USD each, and I replaced the plugs with what RockAuto said was the Actual OE Part (NGK something). No rough idle anymore, runs smooth as a top.
I forgot to mention in my original post - I personally won't swap coils or plugs on their own, I'd only do both at once. I tried doing JUST my plugs, and the new plugs (NGKs) gave me a weird rough idle. Here's the video if you're curious:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/224108732

I believe one of the coils isn't performing properly. Why does the coil work with my existing (older) plugs, not resulting in any noticeable idle issue ? I don't know. But I suspect that when I change both the coils AND the plugs, everything will run fine. We'll see what happens. But in any case, I won't be trying one or the other again, I'll only be doing both at the same time.
How about the part numbers that I have mentioned in the post?

- NOOOOOO!**

View attachment 709969
Thanks. How about the part numbers I've mentioned above? Can I buy any of those part numbers although they look different?
Pretty much have to echo was CAL said. Especially the last point - if you're doing coils, do plugs as well while you're there. Gets both items done at the same time and you don't have to worry about them for a while.

BOSCH is the OEM part for the ignition coil. Bosch and NGK can both be OEM for the spark plug. They apparently alternated from year to year, so no idea what your particular car's OEM is. But either will work.

Here's what I would be paying for my model's ignition coils:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/bmw,2008,328xi,3.0l+l6,1442504,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

If that helps you at all.
I've got no experience with the 320i, let alone a vehicle not from North America. Sorry, can't help there. But I'm sure someone with more experience on that model will chime in :)
Thanks. How about the part numbers I've mentioned above? Can I buy any of those part numbers although they look different?
N51,n52,n54 engine inline 6 Bosch coil are known to go bad
Bmw made updates could called Delphi coils they are more expensive but updated
They are blue colored coils unlike black Bosch
There are six total the two you don't see are under the cabin filter/cover
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.