BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ignition coil stuck

12300 4
I have a 2006 330xi and Im trying to replace the coils, the engine is misfiring. Ive watched a DIY on how to remove this type of coil but for some reason none of the coils in my engine will move. Is there a trick to get them out?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
If they haven't been removed before, the suction will hold them on fairly well. They have rubber boots on the end that fit snugly on top of the spark plugs. Give them a few twists and a good pull and they should come off. Don't be too worried about breaking them since you'll be replacing them anyway, right? Plus, there is not too much to break. I would test the coils and keep the good ones for spares in the future.
Are you replacing the spark plugs while you're in there? How did you diagnose the coils were causing the misfire?
Thanks... no they havent been removed before. I had one replaced about a year ago and they told me at some point more coils would go it just happened. I watched this video to find out how to find out which coil was bad
. I wasnt planning on replacing the spark plugs unless the coil doesnt fix the misfire...
If you are going to change the coils, the you might as well to the plugs too. Make sure and lube the plugs with dielectric to facilitate easy removal later.
If they haven't been removed before, the suction will hold them on fairly well. They have rubber boots on the end that fit snugly on top of the spark plugs. Give them a few twists and a good pull and they should come off. Don't be too worried about breaking them since you'll be replacing them anyway, right? Plus, there is not too much to break. I would test the coils and keep the good ones for spares in the future.
Are you replacing the spark plugs while you're in there? How did you diagnose the coils were causing the misfire?
Are you sure you have removed all the bolts that might hold them in and unsnapped the clips that hold them in?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.