BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 88 325is just stopped running all of a sudden. i turned it off, when i went to crank it up, it would not fire back up. no check engine light.
i sprayed starting fluid in the intake tube, still no starting. that is leading me to believe that it is an ignition problem. what are some of the possibilities it could be? new cap, rotor, plugs, wires. tried a friends coil. there is no power getting to the coil. i checked the fuses and they all look ok. are there any relays or some other problem that is common with these? crank position sensor was also replaced with junk yard unit, but the insulation it cracked around the sensor. this car is making my want to slit my wrist...anyone want to make a purchase of a 88 325is? also where can a buy a bentley manual? i have a haynes manual and i don't think it would even start a very good fire.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
if it was the CPS it would pop back and sputter. I had one get eaten by a fan. completely in two and it still sputtered. STARTING FLUID IS BAD!!!!! Starting fluid is designed for diesel engines. The compnents in starting fluid degrade and corrode aluminum. My father owned a lawn mower shop years ago and people would bring in engines that were dead, It cuts the oil on the cylinder walls,ect.
Anywho enough about SF
Turn the switch foward and make sure you hear the relays clicking. If you arent getting power to the coil it might not be grounded. Check your grounds on the engine.
They are notorious for being bathed in oil and grease. I bought a 1990 525 a few years back and it had the same problem. Turns out the ECU released the magical blue smoke. Got it cheap and sold it for a decent price. E30 FTW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll be sure the to check the grounds. are the relays on the driver fender the ones that deal with fuel and ignition? i am an extreme noob when it comes to these cars.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
delphini said:
Hey !!!! Im Closer .
Are not. plus im quicker:thumbup:
Yes they should be on the drivers side with a plastic cover over them.
pull it off and they should be orange and white. If they are OE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
make a reasonable offer. everything works except for the minor not running thing. it has a dented lower valence(broken foglight on driverside)white with red interior.odo. says 160k miles, but it stopped working about 1200 miles ago. comes with 87 325es parts car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are 3 relays...white/white/orange. they were replaced about 2 years ago i think by the previous owner.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
if it doesnt run and its got about 165ish. Then that means i will have to trailer it or spend a few hours diagnosing. Id give you 1100 with no pics. Post pics on this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can't go that low. has had alot of maintenance done within the last 4000 miles. ball joints, normal tuneup parts, ie timing belt, water pump, blah blah, guibo(sp), clutch. i was going to use it as a toy, but i have too many, and it is the one car that i don't understand anything on. i have to get some of the parts cost back out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have U Tryed The Fuel Pump...mine Was Acting Up On Me And It Was Almost The Same....check The Fuel Pump...it May Not Be Sucking In Gas...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts