BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me start with being brand new to this forum and that this is my first post. I posted this same issue on bimmer forums and received a bunch of views, but nobody was willing to answer any of my questions. Hopefully you guys can be a lot more helpful.

I'm new and just bought a 2000 740i this past Friday and have had a couple problems since purchasing it. The problems may have been found by somebody else and discussed somewhere else on the forum so I apologize in advance if they have. First and foremost, I cannot get the car to startup. It was running perfectly and then the battery died. After charging the battery the car will not even crank. I connect the battery and all the electrical seems fine. I can turn the key to position 1 and 2. However, as soon as I turn the key all the way to start the car, everything shuts off completely and the car doesn't even crank. I was told this could possibly be something with the battery cables and to clean them and the battery terminals. I have yet to do this as I was extremely busy today. I was told that if this does not fix the problem, check the fuses. If I do both of these and nothing changes where should I go next? I'm assuming the start motor? I know about working on cars and engines, but I haven't a clue when it comes to electrical on the engine, specifically the ignition system. Also, I have two new Cam Position sensors to install anyways so could that possibly be the cause for what's happening? I have a second question as well, it's on the radio and navigation system. When the car is started or even the key is turned to the 1 or 2 positions the radio does not work and the navigation screen only shows white. I've looked into it and found multiple different reasons for it. One answer said they're separate issues and that the radio not working is because of the cassette unit, and the navigation screen is because the navigation unit is faulty. Another answer I found said that both problems stem from the navigation unit not working. If anybody can help with any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help! Also, I'll post photos of the car as soon as it's running and has been titled and registered and is on the road(which could possibly be a while, but I don't think so).

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I posted this same issue on bimmer forums and received a bunch of views, but nobody was willing to answer any of my questions. .
Break it down a bit. Too long post without any line breaks or some formatting would turn away people from reading it.

First and foremost, I cannot get the car to startup. It was running perfectly and then the battery died. After charging the battery the car will not even crank. I connect the battery and all the electrical seems fine. I can turn the key to position 1 and 2. However, as soon as I turn the key all the way to start the car, everything shuts off completely and the car doesn't even crank.
It could be a weak battery or connection problems at the ground cable of the battery (both ends) or loose / corroded terminal or failing starter. I vote for the last.

Also, I have two new Cam Position sensors to install anyways so could that possibly be the cause for what's happening?
Unlikely.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Even if You charge these Batteries chances are you need a new Battery I've tried charging them many times with no luck. The radio not working is usually means the nav unit is shot , your car has a MKIII propbably and once their gone its not worth fixing the best thing is to find a MKIV it's plug and play. Those are common problems with an e38. good luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the E38 ownership information highway! These cars last but have lots of common failures over time. Ive done about 5 jobs using knowledge from this forum. Have at least 5 more to do as well.

Stick with it!

Bad battery for the starting problem. If you have a meter you can test it or better yet, pull it out and take it to an auto parts store to be tested. 95% chance its the battery.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,211 Posts
Was the key in the ignition when the battery died? That has been known to keep the car from starting, IIRC you would need to re-sync the EWS.

But before that I'd start with what was said above - bad battery. Old batteries once let to go dead may be able to hold a voltage but no CCA's.
And it sound like your NAV computer is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts