BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys (and girls).

Got some weird issues with my wifes e46.

Theese problems normally starts at the same time and stop at the same time.

Dashboard lights get dimmed.

Steering wheel buttons wont work.

Fog light indicator wont glow eventhough fog light is on.

Sunroof stops working.

Indicator signal wont work and all of the sudden after ive used the indicator the signal comes on and STAYS on even after turning off the car.. It will literally "signal" for around 5 minutes after car is turned off.

Buttons on key wont work.

Hatch wont open.

Ive found sometimes turning full lock right will solve the signal problem..

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
How old is your battery ? We`ve seen literally hundreds of cases like yours, a bunch of seemingly unrelated electrical problems, and in about 95% of those cases, a weak or failing battery was at fault. BMWs are extremely battery-sensitive, they need 100% charge all the time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey there guys (and girls).

Got some weird issues with my wifes e46.

Theese problems normally starts at the same time and stop at the same time.

Dashboard lights get dimmed.

Steering wheel buttons wont work.

Fog light indicator wont glow eventhough fog light is on.

Sunroof stops working.

Indicator signal wont work and all of the sudden after ive used the indicator the signal comes on and STAYS on even after turning off the car.. It will literally "signal" for around 5 minutes after car is turned off.

Buttons on key wont work.

Hatch wont open.

Ive found sometimes turning full lock right will solve the signal problem..

Anyone got any ideas?
Google "e46 k-bus symptoms" and see if your symptoms match. If so, ignition switch would also be my bet.

But I'm with Bob. I start getting gremlins right around the 6-yr mark so I just replace it at 5. Same with my wife's Mercedes. Her alarm starts randomly going off so I either replace it or it wakes me up at 2am. Easy choice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is your battery ? We`ve seen literally hundreds of cases like yours, a bunch of seemingly unrelated electrical problems, and in about 95% of those cases, a weak or failing battery was at fault. BMWs are extremely battery-sensitive, they need 100% charge all the time.
Battery is not old at all.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltage as seen by the ECU. Check and report back the voltages when the:
- ignition is in the run position but with the engine off
- engine is idling
- engine is revving at 2000 rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts