BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the new IIHS safety ratings and notice the 5 series made the list...but....not the XDrive or V8 version...what's up with that? Why would the XDrive make the vehicle more unsafe? I could understand about the V8 I guess...more power to run things over with...but still.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr121511.html

Large luxury cars
Audi A6
BMW 5 series except 4-wheel drive and V8
Cadillac CTS sedan
Hyundai Equus
Hyundai Genesis
Infiniti M37/M56 except M56x 4-wheel drive
Lincoln MKS
Mercedes E-Class sedan
Mercedes E-Class coupe
Saab 9-5
Volvo S80

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I was reading about the new IIHS safety ratings and notice the 5 series made the list...but....not the XDrive or V8 version...what's up with that? Why would the XDrive make the vehicle more unsafe? I could understand about the V8 I guess...more power to run things over with...but still.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr121511.html

Large luxury cars
Audi A6
BMW 5 series except 4-wheel drive and V8
Cadillac CTS sedan
Hyundai Equus
Hyundai Genesis
Infiniti M37/M56 except M56x 4-wheel drive
Lincoln MKS
Mercedes E-Class sedan
Mercedes E-Class coupe
Saab 9-5
Volvo S80
It is probably nothing more than the usual CYA because only certain specific models were tested. I can't imagine any reason why the xDrive and V8 models would not be as safe as the RWD models.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
It's because of the Roof Strength Ratings. The F10 performs well in every aspect of the IIHS tests except for Roof Strength. At "only" 15K lbs of load-withstanding, it's a bit "low" compared to many of todays newer cars. For example, many lighter cars like the C-Class, Jetta, Camry, Optima, Cruze, Sonata, etc. etc. (a wide array of cars, basically) have stronger or equally as strong roofs. The E-Class, for example, has a roof that withstands 21K lbs of load-withstanding power. If you analyze the F10's side crash tests, you can also see some caving in on the roof.

It barely meets the "Good" rating in that area on the IIHS's ratings for the V6 models (load to weight ratio is a bit low due to how heavy the car is), while the V8 and XDRive versions add just that little bit extra weight to push the car out of the "Good" rating and into the lower "Acceptable" rating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.