BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 used e39.. It seems to run good, interior is good, etc etc but I have a few questions.

A few general questions:

1. What is the average life on these cars? Mine currently has 180K miles..
2. The brake light seems to come and go.. previous owner has had it in the shop but no one could find anything wrong. Brakes feel fine and doesn't seem to be any issues.. any ideas what the issue is?

3. Notice what appears to be water dripping under the car.. I, of course got down and smelled it, stuck my finger in it and it is clear.. what could it be? It doesn't run hot and there aren't any warning lights on..

Thanks!

Glad I found this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000 used e39.. It seems to run good, interior is good, etc etc but I have a few questions.

A few general questions:

2. The brake light seems to come and go.. previous owner has had it in the shop but no one could find anything wrong. Brakes feel fine and doesn't seem to be any issues.. any ideas what the issue is?

3. Notice what appears to be water dripping under the car.. I, of course got down and smelled it, stuck my finger in it and it is clear.. what could it be? It doesn't run hot and there aren't any warning lights on..

Thanks!

Glad I found this!
1. as long as you maintain your car correctly it s hould last u a long time.
2. what color is the brake light yellow or red?

3. the water is for your ac condenser...

·
Registered
15,644 Posts
Actually, it's from the evaporator, but, hey.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm very new owner as well, congrats on the new ride. Mine's at nearly 182k right now so we're really close. From what I've heard, with proper maintenance, a person can reasonably expect around 250k. It seems like well-timed oil and fluid changes, as well as catching any problems early, are the key to a long life span.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
...It seems like well-timed oil and fluid changes, as well as catching any problems early, are the key to a long life span.
Especially those related to the cooling system. The straight-6 has a long head that can be easily damaged if it overheats.

Edit: fixed typo

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

A few general questions:

Thanks!

Glad I found this!
Mine has 180k miles too. Still running strong. Since your car is down in Florida, you can expect well beyond what mine could and mine feels like its still new.

The only question is how well you maintain it. Fix things before they break, like the cooling system. Keep an eye out for slow leaks, watch the valve covers, listen for new noises. (voice of Wilford Brimley) Change your oil...and change it often!

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Lots of others have more miles than you and they keep running well.

There have been a number of threads with people posting their high miles. Some in the high 200k range. You can use the search function if you want to know more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replys -

Thanks for all of the replys.. I have fixed most of the problems.. now I have a few more..

1. Driveshaft - its clicking with I put it in gear.. The shop says its not urgent and could go for a few years.. is that true..? How serious is that and when should I get it replaced? Also, what kind of cost to expect to get that replaced?
2. How easy is it to replace the hood emblem? I see where I can buy one but not sure how hard it would be to replace?

Thanks again guys.. hoping to get to 300K on this car...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Thanks for all of the replys.. I have fixed most of the problems.. now I have a few more..

1. Driveshaft - its clicking with I put it in gear.. The shop says its not urgent and could go for a few years.. is that true..? How serious is that and when should I get it replaced? Also, what kind of cost to expect to get that replaced?
2. How easy is it to replace the hood emblem? I see where I can buy one but not sure how hard it would be to replace?

The shop is probably correct, only thing is when it goes it could happen suddenly and you would be stranded. Replacing it will not be cheap, depending on what else they find when they take it apart. North of $1000 would be my guess including doing some other shared labor work.

Hood emblem is very easy to replace. Slide some dental floss under it and pull it up. Make sure you buy a new clip with the emblem.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts

Its easy to replace the hood BMW emblem. Bav Auto has a DIY section that will show you how.

www.bavauto.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Danny,

You da man.. A rebuilt draftshaft would be ok, right?

Why didn't they put cup holders in these cars.. you would think with everything else it has they would put cupholders.. geesh! Hate holding that cup between my legs!

What about the headlights..? Can't believe they don't go off automatically.. I have to turn them off and on? On a 2000? wow.. I guess they didn't think it was a luxury.. I am right on that correct? no auto switch for the lights?

Thanks Danny!

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Danny,

You da man.. A rebuilt draftshaft would be ok, right?
Rebuilt driveshafts are okay, in my experience (so far), but they ain't cheap. The previous owner had the driveshaft rebuilt and center support bearing and CV joint replaced for $1,700 or so.

Why didn't they put cup holders in these cars.. you would think with everything else it has they would put cupholders.. geesh! Hate holding that cup between my legs!
They have token cup holders that break in the first 50 uses or so (at the base of the console, below the radio/MID). Evidently, they don't think people should consume any beverages while driving.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
BMW philosophy back when the car was designed, mid 1990s, was that the driver shouldn't be distracted by such things.

Personally I think its funny that people can't go anywhere w/o a cup of something in their hand, or between their legs, water bottles w/caps are my exception.

Plus there are good aftermarket solutions for all that must drive and drink a cup of something.

Its a funny pity. :rofl:

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Porsche was the same way. In the late 50's and early 60's, they used to run ads with a picture of someone in another make of car, resting his arm on the window sill. The copy used to say something like "You don't see one-handed Porsche drivers," implying that they were having too much fun to get bored and take a hand off the wheel.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I tried to track down one of the old ads, but this is the closest I could find. It's actually a dealer's paraphrase of the older ads.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I tried to track down one of the old ads, but this is the closest I could find. It's actually a dealer's paraphrase of the older ads.

That was pretty old

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
What about the headlights..? Can't believe they don't go off automatically.. I have to turn them off and on? On a 2000? wow.. I guess they didn't think it was a luxury.. I am right on that correct? no auto switch for the lights?
I can't speak for the 2000 model year but 2002 has the automatic headlamp setting. Check your user manual. On the 02, rotate the low beam knob to the left.

Daytime driving lamps*
The headlamps are automatically
switched on for daytime driving at
ignition key position 2.

Automatic headlamp control*
When the switch is set to this
position the system automatically
activates and cancels the
low beams in response to changes in
ambient light (in tunnels, at dusk, etc.)
as well as rain and snow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts