BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go buy a used 525 or 528 in the years of 1999-2000. It will definitely have upwards of 90,000 k on it already and I really don't know much technically about E39's. As far as durability and less headache, my question is whether I should get the 525 or 528, or even go for the 530?

My background is that I am not rich and cannot afford a very high maintenance car. I am not looking to increase hp or buy a spoiler for aerodynamic purposes etc. I simply love E 39's. I have always wanted one and can now finally afford a semi-decent one.

I don't understand half the stuff I have read on these forums so far so thats why I need help and opinions. I appreciate any responses.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
They are all varations of the BMW I6 (six cylinder) engine and I wouldn't say any one of them is more or less reliable than the other. The 528 was made up until 2000 (I think). Then they replaced it with the 525 and 530 variations that have slightly less or more HP than the 525 respectively. You'll get slightly better mileage on the 525 and 528, but maybe only a couple of MPG. I had the prior model 525 before I had the 540 and I could drive all the way from Orange County to the SF Bay Area and still have 1/4 tank left.

If or when things on a sports package car need to be replaced, they'll be slightly more. For instance, it takes bigger tires for better handling, but bigger tires cost more, but the difference isn't all that significant so I wouldn't avoid a car with the sports package just to save on costs if you find one that's in better shape with fewer miles than a non-sport.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
how much do you have to spend???

·
Jedi Master
853 Posts
I am not looking to increase hp or buy a spoiler for aerodynamic purposes etc. I simply love E 39's.
Welcome to the family.

Truth be told, nobody buys a spoiler here for aerodynamic purposes unless their regular commute is +90mph all the way. It's for looks, primarily. Cause it's cool.:D

Back on topic, my recommendation would be to buy the newest one you can afford.

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Instead of the "newest" one you can afford, I would say buy the one which was maintained the best. Newer doesn't have anything to do with it. Buying an older car from an original owner who did a good job with maintenance beats a newer car with multiple owners any day.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
look at the sticky FAQ ... the first post on this forum .. lots of good information .. make sure you get all the maint. records .. not cheap to maintain if you do not know how to turn a wrench ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help and replies.

I'm gonna go to a dealer auction and I have about 7k I'm willing to spend which will be enough.

I definitely don't know how to "turn a wrench" as far as cars go but I know people that can teach me. Also, the FAQ sticky is very helpful.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm about to go buy a used 525 or 528 in the years of 1999-2000. It will definitely have upwards of 90,000 k on it already and I really don't know much technically about E39's. As far as durability and less headache, my question is whether I should get the 525 or 528, or even go for the 530?

My background is that I am not rich and cannot afford a very high maintenance car. I am not looking to increase hp or buy a spoiler for aerodynamic purposes etc. I simply love E 39's. I have always wanted one and can now finally afford a semi-decent one.

I don't understand half the stuff I have read on these forums so far so thats why I need help and opinions. I appreciate any responses.

Thanks
JUST A WARNING MY FRIEND:
I got my bimmer about 3 months ago, I was not that much into making it look better. Now the craze has hit me and I can't stop searching all over the net to get good deals on stuff!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2 cents are for a range like E39, owner is more important than actual model. Try to find a decent previous owner who cares his/her car, with all the records.

I will stay away from small car dealers (only for test drive, maybe), they usually don't have any idea about the maintenance history of their cars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just a side note if you could locate a clean well cared for 1997 528 that might be something to consider as they have a Single VANOS system that was replaced in later years with a Double VANOS. This system is slightly less prone to failure than the later system but in general all of them are very reliable and relatively low cost to repair. You will pay a premium for the 530 as they are fairly new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts