BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turning right on a busy intersection today and as I was turning someone on the oncoming side was turning left into the same lane. Instead of waiting for him, I gunned it and because of the rain I spun out and hit my rear left tire against the curb. For doing this stupid maneuver I was pulled over and given a $167 fine. I didn't mean to do anything like this but it happened and the officer still gave me the ticket. Along with that, I checked my rim and tire and I curbed it a little, creating a small amount of rash on it and as for the tire, I can see the impact zone and the side wall has a little cut in it, the tire isn't punctured but theres an indentation for sure. Anyways I'm writing this because I want to know what sort of damage I could of caused to my rear suspension, the car rode okay but I feel as if something is wrong. Can anyone help me understand how much stress the rear can take in stupid situations like these? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I am glad it was not worse and you are OK, but with a lighter wallet.

Without going into all that could be damaged with a severe impact, witch yours was not (I am sure others will, LOL...) the only thing you may have done was bend the rim just a bit. Not to worry my friend.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I warped my wheel doing that. Not because I was being stupid, but because it was a foot of snow, I turned slowly right, and it went slowly straight into a cement curb.

If you notice air leaking and a wobble that won't go away, swap it with your full sized spare and deal with it later. I didn't have any bearing or suspension issues, but a bent ass wheel pretty much ruined my day. Ymmv.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for that reassurance, my rim seems to be okay, there's no wobble and the tire is still at the same pressure as last week so it's good too. I'm planning on just getting two rear tires off Craigslist until the summer rolls around and I get a whole new set.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Generally speaking, you have the right of way while turning right at an intersection, not the oncoming left-turner. Not sure why you got a ticket, unless you made a (extremely common) illegal turn across two lanes.

The stock wheels are pretty damn strong, or at least the 16" are. I saw someone gun it into a curb full on at about 40kph, not a mark. Wheel is still true. Incidentally, they're bigger idiots than you!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally speaking, you have the right of way while turning right at an intersection, not the oncoming left-turner. Not sure why you got a ticket, unless you made a (extremely common) illegal turn across two lanes.

The stock wheels are pretty damn strong, or at least the 16" are. I saw someone gun it into a curb full on at about 40kph, not a mark. Wheel is still true. Incidentally, they're bigger idiots than you!
Yeah I know.. The other driver didn't realize that and I was confused why he pulled me over instead of the driver that didn't let me go. Anyways it happened and I don't really care because the fine he gave me doesn't have any point associated with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless it was at an intersection with a light and you had a red light and he had a green arrow? That would be the only reason you didntt have the right of way . What does the ticket say was the reason for him pulling you over ?
Sent from my SCH-I500
using Bimmer

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless it was at an intersection with a light and you had a red light and he had a green arrow? That would be the only reason you didntt have the right of way . What does the ticket say was the reason for him pulling you over ?
Sent from my SCH-I500
using Bimmer
I had a green light and was in the right lane and I stopped and waited as well, I started going and the guy on the other side didn't wait and went. Since it was raining he dinged me with driving too fast in unsafe conditions. I explained the situation but he was persistent and got me with that. Anyways I'm not mad, I just paid it earlier today. It could of ended up much worse because when I spun out the road was empty and no one was on the sidewalk and I came out without any damage to myself or my car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.