BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum I want to buy a diagnostic and coding package for my 2008 535xi any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Carly is user friendly but VERY limited in its capabilities.

If you don't want programming capabilities, I suggest looking into getting a copy of ISTA /D (for diagnostics) and BMW Stanrdard Tools (for coding, though it can also provide diagnostics and programming capabilities).

·
Registered
80 Posts
!

Another vote for Carly. Very easy to use. Very portable as it can run on your smartphone and communicate via a simple Bluetooth OBDII adapter. I keep the adapter in my glove box. That way if I'm ever out driving and have a problem, I can check it immediately to identify the issue. What does that check engine light on mean? Is it some minor issue, or should the car not be driven till it is fixed? Carly will tell you, anywhere!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Carly is user friendly but VERY limited in its capabilities.

If you don't want programming capabilities, I suggest looking into getting a copy of ISTA /D (for diagnostics) and BMW Standard Tools (for coding, though it can also provide diagnostics and programming capabilities).
I use Carly for everyday basic diags and coding, and ISTA/D for the more complex stuff.

Carly lets me respond anywhere to an issue. I keep the cable in the trunk.

ISTA/D has a lot more info for those .... more thoughtful jobs. (Meaning WTF? in the garage jobs...)

INPA, though old, has a lot of nice tweaks to exercise individual components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used the Carly as well and it's proper. I've used for diagnostics and to register my battery. I have yet to use it for coding, but it has performed Excellent so far!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts