BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little befuddled at the exorcist like behavior of my 330xi. Had a back passenger window regulator go kaput. This is the third one (driver side and passenger front) . After replacing the regulator the window worked fine from the front control switch. Buttoned things up. Feeling good. Checked the back door switch and nothing happened. hmmm. opened the back door and the window rolls down completely. shut the door and nothing. door switch not working at all. Front controls work as advertised. Tried resetting the switches to no avail. Switched out the door window switch with another known good one and got nothing. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so how did you fix it. I have not tried locating and replacing the fuse.?? I think the wiring is all good else why would the front controls work?? Thought maybe a short in the motor. Maybe it is getting ready to bite it.?? Searched for some answers but get the reset answer over and over.
Any help is greatly appreciated!! I know some of you on this forum like a good puzzle. My puzzler is sore!
D

· Registered
916 Posts
Did you inadvertantly depress the child lock-out switch for the rear windows? located in the center console, next to your tranny shifter. This lockout switch does nothing more than send a constant ground signal to the GM V unit, preventing both rear window switches from operating.

Did you check for wire damage caused by your window reg work? between back door and switch? that would be probable cause other than the above. There may even be a small wire harness connector that got inadvertantly disconnected somewhere in door panel.

If no damage or disconnected wiring harness, then I would say it is the GM V module (one of the relay's in it) as all signals go through it.
Since the rear window is working with the front switch you know the wiring is in tact from GM V to window, since it is getting the signal to the motor from the front switch. And, since you already swapped back door switches you know it has nothing to do with them either...but awful suspicious if this switch was working prior to window reg work....you really need to look hard for a small connector you disconnected or wiring damage IMO.

· Philosopher-king
6,427 Posts
Optional Poltergeist Package (ZPPP)?
I thought that bizarre electrical symptoms were the norm for German cars, not the exception. Another one of the memorable features of the experience", like the service manager in the white lab coat with the faux accent. :)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you inadvertantly depress the child lock-out switch for the rear windows? located in the center console, next to your tranny shifter. This lockout switch does nothing more than send a constant ground signal to the GM V unit, preventing both rear window switches from operating.

Did you check for wire damage caused by your window reg work? between back door and switch? that would be probable cause other than the above. There may even be a small wire harness connector that got inadvertantly disconnected somewhere in door panel.

If no damage or disconnected wiring harness, then I would say it is the GM V module (one of the relay's in it) as all signals go through it.
Since the rear window is working with the front switch you know the wiring is in tact from GM V to window, since it is getting the signal to the motor from the front switch. And, since you already swapped back door switches you know it has nothing to do with them either...but awful suspicious if this switch was working prior to window reg work....you really need to look hard for a small connector you disconnected or wiring damage IMO.
Thanks for the reply. I did check the child lock switch. all good. I'm going to take the door off again and check the wiring. Just wanted to blame the machine. Most likely an operator error. Will post any results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.