BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd concern. On the highway, I have serious trouble staying under 140km/h. Yesterday I was in a slight rush and turned a typical 40 min round trip to just over 20, because I was cruising at 160-190 the entire time. The car just feels so comfortable at that speed that it seems just downright wasteful and inefficient if I don't travel at such speeds. With other cars, I will typically drive at around 110-130, because at those speeds I begin to lose confidence in the stability of the vehicle. With BMW's though...:tsk:

Anyone else's car making them drive at such super-illegal speeds frequently?

G

·
Mystikal said:
I have an odd concern. On the highway, I have serious trouble staying under 140km/h. Yesterday I was in a slight rush and turned a typical 40 min round trip to just over 20, because I was cruising at 160-190 the entire time. The car just feels so comfortable at that speed that it seems just downright wasteful and inefficient if I don't travel at such speeds. With other cars, I will typically drive at around 110-130, because at those speeds I begin to lose confidence in the stability of the vehicle. With BMW's though...:tsk:

Me.

But it's not just THIS car. It started with my E30 and continued through my A4 and 330i. I've had a difficult time keeping any of them at even remotely legal speeds.

It's a German thing.

·
10,856 Posts
Little trouble with my Bimmer and the S55 AMG. My old 325i was easy to keep relatively slow, too.
Driving a 740i, I had a hard time staying under 90. The WRX is a pain that way, too.

Edit: That's not to say that I don't occasionally fly down roads like a bat out of hell... But the 3'ers that I've driven have never really forced speed upon you.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts

You have a hard time with the 323, try keeping the speed down in an M5. Anything below 150km/h feels like you're CRAWLING. Freight train pull.

My last highway trip in the 328 averaged 94 over 2+ hrs

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
My cruising speed on the highways is a perpetual 140. The 2.5L seems like it finds it's groove there.

When I had the X5 4.4L for the weekend... it's sweet spot was unfortunately around 150kph. Not good.

Fortunately, other than the rare speed trap at month end, OPP speed enforcement is lax. Plus with so few cops and so many drivers, the odds of getting caught is slim.

My worry is that they will start calculating average speeds based on entry and exit times on the 407ETR. This would not be good. They could hand out massive numbers of tickets.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
JPinTO said:

My worry is that they will start calculating average speeds based on entry and exit times on the 407ETR. This would not be good. They could hand out massive numbers of tickets.
unless they start taking pictures of the drivers as well...they have no way to place the ticket to a driver. if anything they can only fine the owner of the car like the red ligh cameras.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I average about 130-140km (80-90mph in non-metric land) nearly all the time. Sometimes I sprint up over 140km, but Boston traffic is usually to heavy to do so, and maintain safety and distance from other cars.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
ChrisTO said:

unless they start taking pictures of the drivers as well...they have no way to place the ticket to a driver. if anything they can only fine the owner of the car like the red ligh cameras.
It would be just like the radar drone vans that they used a few years ago. They send the ticket to the owner. Tickets are a money grab... as long as somebody pays it, they don't care.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Re: Re: I'm starting to speed dangerously...

TD said:

It's a German thing.
yup, on a recent trip to LA from eureka, I found myself going over 90 the majority of the time, pushing 100 mostly... when you get on I5 it is like the race track, get in with a group of cars and you never even notice. It IS a german thing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i am asking to be arrested and license revoked. in and around houston the limit is a disgusting 55. and for some reason, esp in these zones i average 100+ mph. never in heavy traffic though. in houston i average about 80mph (still 55). funny thing is once the roads turn to the normal 70mph i drive like 80, but those 55 zones i just floor it for some reason

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
Mystikal said:

In your defence, many if not most, people travel at 130-140KPH on the 401. :)

Ed

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You know, it's not just the speed of these cars thats so addictive, it's also the handling. I find myself routinely pulling off manuevers in traffic or taking corners at speeds that I wouldn't dare do in the past. The handling just makes it all so easy, nearly casual.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It is not the speed that worries me, but my mood when I speed.

I usually speed when someone pisses me off (like left lane hogging, this or that, doesn't matter). And doind 180 when you are angry is not a good/smart thing :(

Otherwise I'm quite content doing 115-118. But not one kilometer less ;)

I wish I could drive on the 407 more often...such a nice hwy, especially at night.
But it's to far north to be of any use for me. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
rost12 said:
It is not the speed that worries me, but my mood when I speed.

I usually speed when someone pisses me off (like left lane hogging, this or that, doesn't matter). And doind 180 when you are angry is not a good/smart thing :(

Otherwise I'm quite content doing 115-118. But not one kilometer less ;)

I wish I could drive on the 407 more often...such a nice hwy, especially at night.
But it's to far north to be of any use for me. Sigh.
Good point - there's nothing that PISSES ME OFF more than someone who refuses to move into the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.