BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
By default being on the safe side, I am leaning towards the D90 with the 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 set in the P mode using the built-in flash with a diffuser to avoid washouts :rolleyes:.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JC, this place is lonely. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That is an ok rig for a consumer camera, but I would upgrade the lens to a faster one. I am not familiar with Nikon lenses, but I would get an 2.8.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is an ok rig for a consumer camera, but I would upgrade the lens to a faster one. I am not familiar with Nikon lenses, but I would get an 2.8.
Just because it's not a 2.8 it doesn't mean it can't do the job...
I've played around with the lens on the D90 in various f stops, speed, ISO, flash/no flash, and I have a pretty good idea what I will be shooting, probably at f5.6, flash, 1/60 sec, ISO 200-2200. Definitely not ISO 3200 w/o flash. Soft flash is the answer.

http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm

Rockwell:
This is a serious lens, not a "kit lens" or a cheap replacement for a lens cap sold as part of a kit as with most other cameras. The fast f/3.5~4.5 speed should be your clue; the cheapies are all f/3.5~5.6. The 18-55 is a cheapie, but good. This 18~70 is similar to a 27~105 mm on a 35 mm film camera. It ONLY works on digital SLRs. Using it on a film camera will result in a semi-circular image with dark corners. If you need a wide angle zoom for a film camera you need the 18-35 instead. It is a DX Lens. It's an easy to use, sharp, compact and all around nice lens. I've shot with it and even owned one. It's pretty much identical in size, feel and weight to the 24-85 AFS I use for my film cameras but with a much more useful focal range for digital cameras.

phototestcenter.com
Sharpness and resolution are very, very good. At f 5.6 - f11 results are excellent, but even full aperure at 18mm is very good with good sharpness and no huge fall off at the edges. I really like this lens. If you're trying to decide which DSLR system to go with and don't have a bag full of lenses already - buy this lens with Nikon's D50 or D70s and you won't be disappointed!

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/131
Bottom line, the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX is a very high-quality optic, well worth the price, and is a real bargain when acquired as part of a D70/D70S bundle.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm talking to myself.

To be on the safe side I will probably end up with a 50mm f1.8 on D700 with the SB 600 flash and the D90 as the backup :eek:.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Something I learned that I like to pass on. Yep, I used the equipment in the previous post. The SB 600 speedlight worked great, as expected. I tilled and twisted the flash head to reduce harsh shadows. I learned that shooting directly in front of a wall will cast unwanted shadow no matter what you do. Subjects too close to the wall (left). Bouncing the flash off the ceiling or stand further away from the subject will cast a less noticeable shadow (center), but if there are crystals or other lamp lens hanging from the ceiling, they reflect and will give space like reflections (right).

Attachments

·
E92 Fanatic
124 Posts
^^ thanks for the info on the shadows

i use to shoot with a D90 but then upgraded to D7000. I mostly shot with 18-200 VR lens but sold it and mostly use my 50mm f/1.4G. I also have the 80-200mm f/2.8 but that lens is a tank and for ultrawide I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ thanks for the info on the shadows

i use to shoot with a D90 but then upgraded to D7000. I mostly shot with 18-200 VR lens but sold it and mostly use my 50mm f/1.4G. I also have the 80-200mm f/2.8 but that lens is a tank and for ultrawide I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Going to do a baseball banquet tonight. See if I learned anything from my past experience. :rofl:

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally Posted by Dave 330i
By default being on the safe side, I am leaning towards the D90 with the 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 set in the P mode using the built-in flash with a diffuser to avoid washouts .
And?

Shess.... that was 2.5 months ago. Finally, I decided to use my D700 full frame with a standard 50mm f1.8 lens with SB-600 speedlight set in TTL. Camera set at manual f5.6 1/125 sec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.