BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Impending factory warranty expiration

1304 8
I feel like I am being one of those guys who typically would say, "do as I say, not as I do", because I have recommended to others in getting their vehicle inspected by an indy shop shortly before the warranty expires. Therefore, it is with just a tiny bit of embarassment that I start a new (and arguably redundant) thread.

However, I'm now on the fence because my car seems to be running perfectly, with low miles at about 24k, which has been relatively babied, and I have an extended warranty (no wear/tear coverage) until summer of '15. (Before you give me grief over the warranty, it only cost about $500/yr for 3.5 years, and I had only the day of the purchase to decide.) I'm not sure if I should spend the money. I think my research has shown that there will likely be different "levels" of inspections for different price ranges. I'm not sure what I should go for, and/or what to even ask about. I believe the last time I asked an indy, earlier this year, about what it would cost, they said a half hour or $55 if my memory serves. Sounds cheap enough that I am suspicious if this would do me any good, or that it would be with a fine enough comb, so to speak.

My OBC is telling me it is time for a roadworthiness test. I believe there may be service requirements (lift symbol) this month too, but I don't know what they would be at this point, as oil/brake fluid/microfilter were all done less than two months ago. The closest thing to a CBS warning would be rear brakes 10k miles from now. Before I ask the below questions, I would just like to say that I dislike going to the dealership (I might seriously fear them deep down), and therefore it may be easy for you to talk me out of going there. In fact, you probably could talk me into doing nothing at all, as it could save me money, and that I highly doubt I need anything.

So do I get the indy inspection?
What should I ask them to specifically look at?

Do I get the indy test before or after the dealership roadworthiness inspection/test, assuming that I will do the latter? (I can think of arguments for both ways.)

I guess I must do the roadworthiness test since it appears to be required by my state law. I might even consider paying an indy a fee depending on the cost, just to not take it to the dealership, even if the latter would do so for free. Or must this be done at the dealership for some reason?

Thank you very much for obliging me.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
If you can get an indy inspection for under a $100 I would consider a worthwhile investment. For any issue the indy raises you can come up with a plausible symptom that would require the dealer to investigate the indy's findings.

As to the extended warranty your post is not clear if you have it already or are considering purchasing it....

Unless you are in a situation where a $2000 repair bill would devastate you finances.....
Take whatever you would have paid for an extended warranty and put it in a 1% savings account. Draw funds as needed for repairs.
(Note a new set of brakes is a maintenance cost not a repair item, it wouldn't be covered under an extended warranty).

PS: The most posted failure item on a 335i is the HPFP, guess what you are already covered for that!
Thanks bmwKbiker. To be clear, I already bought the warranty 2.5 years ago, and I do not have any intention to sell the rest of it back. I thought this info might be pertinent, because anything that is missed (non-maintenance wise) will be covered anyway. The benefit of the indy inspection here I suppose is indeed for maintenance only I suppose.

My warranty lets me take my car to whoever I want, including BMW dealerships, at only a $25 copay per visit (not per repair), so far as I understand it. I will probably prefer independent shops if the need ever arises, though I understand that there are some knowledgeable people here who believe the dealership is the best way for certain things due to proprietary knowledge. I hope I never have to concern myself with that kind of issue.

Alas, I have tallied your vote for the indy inspection, unless you change your mind now knowing that I have an extended warranty, regardless.

Do you say I take it to the dealership for the roadworthiness test, and if so, should I do the indy inspection beforehand, or after?

Thanks again.
I'm in your boat. My 4yr warranty expires next month and 34K on the clock. Extended warranty to 7yrs from GEICO at time of purchase. No indy needed. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy. Like me, if and when a repair comes, we have low deductibles.

PS..mine is going in next week for the final stuff (oil, wipers, etc. plus peeling interior door handles (service bulletin is issued on this) and stupid seat belt presenter repairs.

If we worry about these cars at 25-35K on the odo, perhaps we bought the wrong cars
Thanks for your response. I can't find anything conclusive yet about the roadworthiness test being mandatory. Now I am thinking I should be able to ignore it until I get something from the state saying I must do something.

I am now leaning strongly towards forgoing the indy inspection after your post. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

I think I will also cancel the OBC warnings, at perhaps the possible risk of no longer having the choice of getting free services. If for some reason I cannot easily disable the warnings, maybe I can do so with a BT scan tool, but then again maybe that would warrant further research/investigation. I somehow doubt it though.

Just curiously, regarding the door handles, do you happen to know which years/MY are affected? (Mine seem fine.) As a little thank you for your response, here is a pic of what I am pretty certain is the little motor for the seat belt extender, just right above the speaker. The rear side panel comes off as one large piece, the adjacent rear seat cushion must first be removed, and the hardest part of the whole thing is putting the side panel back in (takes a lot of experimenting as far coming-in-from-an-angle, and how to fit it, if you get my drift; technique may change with MY too).
I'm in your boat. My 4yr warranty expires next month and 34K on the clock. Extended warranty to 7yrs from GEICO at time of purchase. No indy needed. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy. Like me, if and when a repair comes, we have low deductibles.

PS..mine is going in next week for the final stuff (oil, wipers, etc. plus peeling interior door handles (service bulletin is issued on this) and stupid seat belt presenter repairs.

If we worry about these cars at 25-35K on the odo, perhaps we bought the wrong cars

Attachments

Isn't the roadworthiness test a non generic way of saying your car is due for its safety inspection? I know each state is different, but I'm sure California has some sort of safety/emission inspection. In Texas the car is good for its first two years when purchased new, thereafter inspections are annual.
Thanks for your response. I can't find anything conclusive yet about the roadworthiness test being mandatory. Now I am thinking I should be able to ignore it until I get something from the state saying I must do something.
That's what I was wondering NK, but wouldn't I have received something in the mail saying that it's time? Hm.
Isn't the roadworthiness test a non generic way of saying your car is due for its safety inspection? I know each state is different, but I'm sure California has some sort of safety/emission inspection. In Texas the car is good for its first two years when purchased new, thereafter inspections are annual.
:dunno: Our expiration dates are boldly stated on the inspection sticker. Boldy enough that an oncoming LEO could probably notice it's out of date and and give a citation if so inclined. That is our only notification that it is due.
That's what I was wondering NK, but wouldn't I have received something in the mail saying that it's time? Hm.
I see, thank you Kat.
:dunno: Our expiration dates are boldly stated on the inspection sticker. Boldy enough that an oncoming LEO could probably notice it's out of date and and give a citation if so inclined. That is our only notification that it is due.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.