BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know your base lines? Probably some do, but many (like me) do not.

What is a base line and why is it important? Base line is the date present when everything is working correctly, such as:
What temp does your cooling system normally run at?
How many gallons to fill it up?
What temp does your transmission operate at?
How many volts does your alternator put out?
How many pounds of fuel pressure is your car putting out?

I regret not unlocking and opening my cluster sooner and collecting all the "normal" date I could when everything was running normally. When things go wrong, one really needs to know what normal is, so one can find that which is not normal.

Jim

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
1. Hot enough to burn but nor scald.
2. About 45 bucks at cumbys
3. At all temps! It's a Manny.
4. Enough for my phone. At 13.9-14v to be exact.
5.vroom vroom pounds per square inch.

Sorry I know I never contribute anything good. Bump nonetheless

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. Thanks for the laugh, came at a good time. :)

TAB, think I should look at my alt volts again.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
This isnt something you should do with a bmw.. its something you should do with all operating equipment

having a functional "ground" to base you maintain off of is super important

take it from a guy who has cornered him self in to the world of maintenance : my life is literally surrounded by everyone else broken ****

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This isnt something you should do with a bmw.. its something you should do with all operating equipment

take it from a guy who has cornered him self in to the world of maintenance : my life is literally surrounded by everyone else broken ****
Agreed.

If you don't know how, learn how to open your cluster and find out what's actually going on under the hood, not the mediated version that can hide small problems that can be addressed before they become big problems.

Jim

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

:bustingup:bustingup:bustingup:bustingup

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
dude when i was young and i thought it was cool to be the hero with peoples cars... i didnt know that was going to lead to this...

broken factory's
broken extrusion and injection machinery
broken hydraulic equipment
convayor systems, and airvaor systems,

its goes on and on and on.. Now i got people asking me for house hold electrical it just doesn't end...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hence the saying, "youth is wasted on the young." :) Really hard to look down the road and see what it will look like 20 years.

Escape usually looks like doing something you are really, really passionate about and finding out that people will pay you to do it.

Jim

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Hence the saying, "youth is wasted on the young." :) Really hard to look down the road and see what it will look like 20 years.

Escape usually looks like doing something you are really, really passionate about and finding out that people will pay you to do it.

Jim
Amen! Which is why I love doing brake jobs; it's super easy and people will pay a LOT to have you do it.

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
i just slapped a 168$ 4 wheel cross drilled and slotted +pad set from amazon on the e36

very nice for 168

and 2 sensors it came with... they where like 5 feet to long.. but i shortened them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts