BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a '97 E39 and the right rear window has stopped working. When I use the power window control near the drivers arm rest, it gives a whirring sound but does not lift the windows up. I took it to a BMW service center and they said that the regulator is gone and a new one has to be set and it's pretty expensive - $485 (including labor).

Do I have any other option? the service guy said that the motor is fine, but when you get a new regulator it comes with the motor and no option to just fix the regulator. Let me know if there's anyway else to repair this.

Appreciate your time.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,637 Posts
xhunterx said:
Hello,

I have a '97 E39 and the right rear window has stopped working. When I use the power window control near the drivers arm rest, it gives a whirring sound but does not lift the windows up. I took it to a BMW service center and they said that the regulator is gone and a new one has to be set and it's pretty expensive - $485 (including labor).

Do I have any other option? the service guy said that the motor is fine, but when you get a new regulator it comes with the motor and no option to just fix the regulator. Let me know if there's anyway else to repair this.

Appreciate your time.
DIY much cheaper. Not too hard either. www.bmwtips.com

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
xhunterx said:
Hello,

Appreciate your time.
Do it yourself and save some dough.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/WindowRegulator/regulator.htm
http://www.bmwtips.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks so much for all your help. I was able to fix this myself although it did take some time. The original poster at the bmwtips.com did a great job posting a detailed step by step to change the regulator.

My window works just fine.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
xhunterx said:
Thanks so much for all your help. I was able to fix this myself although it did take some time. The original poster at the bmwtips.com did a great job posting a detailed step by step to change the regulator.

My window works just fine.
Excellent. bmwtips is an excellent information source for E39 owners.

If your interior driver's door handle breaks, you can find the info there as well.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts