BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What up everybody.

I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2007 BMW 328 Convertible from the US (NYC). I thought I'd ask you guys/gals a couple of questions before I go ahead and seal the deal. Firstly I'd like to tripple check and see if I'm getting a good price. Here's some info on the car:

2007 BMW 328 Convertible
Alpine White/Cream Leather
Condition: paint is flawless, inside is flawless (had my cousin check it out and test drive)
Mileage: 8000 miles
Options: Premium Package, Tire pressure monitor, Multi-function steering wheel, Heated front seats, Navigation system, Satellite radio, Comfort Access w/Comfort Load, Dynamic cruise Control, Hi-fi sound system

Price I'm being offered is $46K US. After bringing it to Canada and registering it, paying taxes and doing all that junk it's going to come to around $56K. What do you guys think about the price?

My other question is do I have to get an admissibility letter done from a dealership in Canada? I called BMW North America and they said it would have to be done from a Canadian dealer. Is there any way I can get around paying the $395 for that? Also the Recall Letter...do you guys know of any way I can get around paying the $565 on that?

A BMW dealership in Toronto is offering to change the cluster and program the daytime running lights for $1500 (includes labor) - best price I found so far. Do y'all know of anyone that may be cheaper?

My very last question is who do you recomend I ship it with. Dependable Auto Shippers quoted me a price of $700 from NYC to Buffalo. Here's the details of the shipping:
Top Load
Includes Insurance
They will pick it up from the dealership and drop it off at one of their hubs close to Buffalo and it will take about 6 days.

Thanks in advance!

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
That's only around $7k below US MSRP for a new 2008 with the same options. Seems a bit high for a year old model with 8k miles on it already. And unless you really want Active Cruise Control (?!?!?!), that's one more thing you're paying for.

Are the canadian prices so high that this is worth it?? Seems like you'll be paying for a lot of unneccessary things to bring it across the border.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sounds a bit high to me. I'd rethink this before pulling the trigger. Used cars, even low mileage ones are tricky. There is usually a huge mark up by the dealer and much room for negotiation, even though they will cry poverty. I think you can do much better than that.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
That sounds way high for an '07. Given the dollar is sucking terribly, you should look at how much it would cost you to buy a new BMW here. Factor in the exchange rate and compare it to buying one up there.

If you want used, dive into kbb.com and then start shopping around the Northeast U.S. for a used car you want. You should be able to get a better deal than what you listed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. This seems very wrong. My experience is below:

I paid less than $45k for a 335 with less mileage and with extra options like Sport Package, USB integration, and a bunch of trunk accessories (in addition to everything you are getting). I bought mine certified from a dealership. No issues yet...

You may be able to get the admissibility and recall letters through a US BMW dealership. Mine took care of both for free (it was a condition of my agreeing to purchase the vehicle).

Changing the cluster. You must be joking. There is no requirement to change the cluster (at least there was none when I brought my car in 7 months ago). Especially not when the US models have both miles and kilometers on the speedo. Asking you to pay $1500 to change the cluster is how they make back the money you can potentially save by buying in the US. Spend the $$ on a nice pair of glasses to better see the readout. :)

Shipping: for approx $1000 you can get the car shipped straight to your home including having all of the import paperwork completed, emissions and saftey tests done, license plates, full registration, etc. The extra $300 was a no brainer for me. Was delivered from Penn in 2 days. I gave them a check, they gave me a key. Done.

In short, you are likely paying 10k too much.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow. This seems very wrong. .....

Changing the cluster. You must be joking. There is no requirement to change the cluster (at least there was none when I brought my car in 7 months ago). Especially not when the US models have both miles and kilometers on the speedo. Asking you to pay $1500 to change the cluster is how they make back the money you can potentially save by buying in the US. Spend the $$ on a nice pair of glasses to better see the readout. :)
Hope this helps.
It has changed.. BMW Canada is desperately trying to curb cross border shopping because of the huge price differences. They have told the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (I think they own it) that is is a condition of importing.

Best place for current advice on importing cars from the US to Canada is HERE.

Note that it is closing in on 2 million views and over 14,000 posts, so it's a big deal up here. I picked up a new car for my wife and saved over 14,000 last October.

·
Banned
37 Posts
It has changed.. BMW Canada is desperately trying to curb cross border shopping because of the huge price differences. They have told the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (I think they own it) that is is a condition of importing.

Best place for current advice on importing cars from the US to Canada is HERE.

Note that it is closing in on 2 million views and over 14,000 posts, so it's a big deal up here. I picked up a new car for my wife and saved over 14,000 last October.
The change is an absolute disgrace and IMHO is not allowed under NAFTA. What it means is an auto identical in every way to one that was imported in March, would now have to be modified because of directions to RIV by BMW Canada.
I certainly will be contacting my MP over this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through this process a couple of months ago - I brought in an '06 330xi from NH. I don't think there is a way around the admissibility letter and recall letter unless you type up your own (which incidentally I think could be done since I don't believe there is any checking as to the authenticity but would clearly be illegal). $1500 to change out the instrument cluster is a good price. A stealership here in Edmonton charged me $1178 for the cluster, $400 for the install, $400 for programming and then the $500 for the recall letter. Add to that the $350 for the amissibility letter and you're paying BMW almost $3K in import duties.

BTW I had my MP write a letter to the transport minister - hand delivered on the floor of the house of commons and received no reply... BMW must be 'donating' a lot of money to the conservatives...

·
Registered
466 Posts
And unless you really want Active Cruise Control (?!?!?!), that's one more thing you're paying for.
Just to clarify: I believe the OP was referring to Dynamic Cruise Control, a standard feature which is actually the standard BMW cruise control, not the Active Cruise Control option.

Active Cruise is great BTW. :thumbup:

FM

·
Banned
37 Posts
I went through this process a couple of months ago - I brought in an '06 330xi from NH. I don't think there is a way around the admissibility letter and recall letter unless you type up your own (which incidentally I think could be done since I don't believe there is any checking as to the authenticity but would clearly be illegal). $1500 to change out the instrument cluster is a good price. A stealership here in Edmonton charged me $1178 for the cluster, $400 for the install, $400 for programming and then the $500 for the recall letter. Add to that the $350 for the amissibility letter and you're paying BMW almost $3K in import duties.

BTW I had my MP write a letter to the transport minister - hand delivered on the floor of the house of commons and received no reply... BMW must be 'donating' a lot of money to the conservatives...
As of last December the only cost outside of Goverment Excise Duty and Federal & Provincial Tax was a $118.63 inspection fee paid to Canadian Tire to stamp (All Good) on a Vehicle Inspection Form

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My very last question is who do you recomend I ship it with. Dependable Auto Shippers quoted me a price of $700 from NYC to Buffalo. Here's the details of the shipping:
Top Load
Includes Insurance
They will pick it up from the dealership and drop it off at one of their hubs close to Buffalo and it will take about 6 days.

Thanks in advance!
Why wouldn't you just drive the car back from NYC yourself. It's not that far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys. I need to start off by saying you are all very resourceful! The problem with me picking it up in New York is I will then have to pay the NY state taxes. By having a shipping company write on the Bill of Lading that the vehicle is landing in Canada, I then do not have to pay the NY state taxes.

I went to BMW of Mississauga and they priced me a new one with the same options at $76K after taxes. The sales rep told me he would try his best to take $2k off and this was after a lot of negotiating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no reason to pick up the car in NY or even to ship to Buffalo. For an extra $300 you can save yourself the time and money involved with traveling down to NY or Buffalo to pick up the car, you have no customs paperwork (the shippers do it all for you), and it gets delivered to your door on the back of a truck so no mileage gains. Car is insured during transport, you pay no NY state taxes, and they even do all registrations/certifications for you. Up to you, but this was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cancelled the order on the 328. I found a 335 convertible for $46500 USD after a lot of bargaining. Has about 14k on it but it's pretty much loaded. What sucks about it is it's all the way in Cali. What do you guys think? Also, what shipping company did you use Hot Dawg? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Hey guys. I need to start off by saying you are all very resourceful! The problem with me picking it up in New York is I will then have to pay the NY state taxes. By having a shipping company write on the Bill of Lading that the vehicle is landing in Canada, I then do not have to pay the NY state taxes.
Normally in the U.S. you pay sales tax on a car to the State the car is registered in, not the State it is purchased in. If you buy a car out of State, the dealer can arrange a temporary registration tag (a bit like Euro delivery).

I would think the same rules would apply if you were exporting the car to Canada.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
There is no reason to pick up the car in NY or even to ship to Buffalo. For an extra $300 you can save yourself the time and money involved with traveling down to NY or Buffalo to pick up the car, you have no customs paperwork (the shippers do it all for you), and it gets delivered to your door on the back of a truck so no mileage gains. Car is insured during transport, you pay no NY state taxes, and they even do all registrations/certifications for you. Up to you, but this was a no brainer for me.
OTOH if you pick it up yourself, you can inspect the car before paying for it and you don't have to worry about it getting damaged by the transport company.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am sorry dude (youngshah) but check out the RIV site for admissability.
You have to contact BMW Canada retailer before you proceed with anything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as you do not take delivery of the vehicle in that particular state you don't have to pay the state taxes. Therefore the trick is to have the car shipped to the Canadian Border and taking delivery there or having it shipped to your house.

Also, RIV will only release your Inspection Documents (Form 2) after they receive an email from BMW Canada verifying that the modifications have been done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts