BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have couple of hundred miles on my car and I am only getting 16 mpg. I tried different gas stations Shell , Exxon , BP.

I am just doing normal city driving , use sport mode once in a while. The car is still within the breakin period.:dunno:

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
I only have couple of hundred miles on my car and I am only getting 16 mpg. I tried different gas stations Shell , Exxon , BP.

I am just doing normal city driving , use sport mode once in a while. The car is still within the breakin period.:dunno:
Gas is not going to make any difference. Do you take short trips? If so, gas mileage during warmup is significantly worse. Also, your mileage will improve after a few thousand miles of break-in. And I'm sure the added weight of the xi in stop and go driving will sap gas mileage as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I get 22 in town but closer to 20 in bumper to bumper. I have a 328i and around 2600 miles on it.

Jeez I can't believe I put that many miles on in a little over a month... but I do love this car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
xi's hate city driving. Expect around 15-18 mpg.
That's all I get, and I have 4,000 miles on it. I average between 21 and 22mpg combined, so don't feel bad.

Do what I do, just look down at the roundel on your steering wheel... And smile.

Your driving a BMW.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I think all cars get crappy mileage around town. A while back I did only city driving for almost a whole month. I think I averaged about 17mpg, so 16 sounds on par. Now granted, we have different cars, but what I'm trying to say is that your number sounds about right for city driving.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
After break-in, fuel economy will slowly start going up. Green engines drink fuel. It will increase about 10-15% by the time the engine hits 7500 miles...

- Mike

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
After break-in, fuel economy will slowly start going up. Green engines drink fuel. It will increase about 10-15% by the time the engine hits 7500 miles...

- Mike
I did notice that mine went up a bit resently (just hit 9000). Why is this?

BTW - MPG still sucks in city driving. 16 MPG is probably about right...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Around 21-22 depending on overall conditions. This is mostly city driving and back roads around town including stop and go.

I try not to be so heavy on the gas and tend to watch RPM's a bit. Average around town is 1,500 or and around 2,100 or so cruising on the hwy around 70/80.

I use Shell V-TEch from the same 1 or two stations and the same pump if possible. This is just my OCD kicking in.

Overall pretty good. Not much worse than my 03 Passat around town. Not sure on long highway runs yet - only have 1,500 miles on her. Oh it is a 08 335i.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.