BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

In 20 minutes I lost a spoke

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  tmvE39/E53/Z32 
#1 ·
From this:

To this:

The hardest part was to unbolt and torque back up to spec the main bolt. You don't want to break the security pin.....
Everything was plug-and-play. No error codes, buttons work, I can access the Hualigan, cruze control is working, I'm a happy camper.
Wanted to lose that ugly bus wheel a long time ago, only I couldn't fint the right price.

See less See more
#8 ·
Great job, Doru. I can't wait to update mine too, but it's gonna be very soon.

Btw, did u pee on that floor mat? :jk: :p

She's a DD. It's sloppy outside to say the least. The rubber will be gone in spring. Until then, I wash it once in a while. Not today, with the muck that's everywhere.

#14 ·
you will miss your ugly wheel my friend , there is NO heat in this m3 wheel which is VERY useful in Canada

whats next ? a sport seats ? haha

It's an M5 wheel. The bus wheel I had was not heated. Only my seats are, and I like them. The car is garaged at home, and at work, so my wheel is OK. Now, if there was a "heated" sport steering wheel, I would totally go for it. I drove my car to "test" the sport steering, and to tell the truth, I could never go back to that clumsy wheel, heated or not.
Igor, you should try it yourself, I'm sure you will change your perpective on it.

#17 ·
#22 ·
You changed this in the winter? If it takes 20 min I'd be changing the wheel with the tyres, especially in Calgary! brrr.

I test-drove a nice 01/02 530 with the sports package. The wheel felt really nice but it had been in an accident (unbeknownst to the distressed current owner) and I didn't get it. That, and I wasn't planning on moving somewhere that the heated wheel is hardly used.

#25 · (Edited)
You changed this in the winter?
This Sunday.
Now, I can prolly do it in under 15. No joke. The DYI's are more complicated than it actually is.
For the 2 stage wheel, you have to unscrew the 2 torx 27 screws that hold the airbag (4 spokes). Then you take off the bolt that holds the steering wheel - here a helper would be great, so you don't bust the steering wheel locking mechanism. Unclip the 2 connectors, pull out wheel.
Place the new wheel in - the steering rod has a mark, and so does the steering wheel (bottom) - align them. Clip in the 2 connectors. Ask helper for a hand to tighten the bolt to 80 Nm. Clip in the airbag. Done. All work done with the battery terminals removed. Attention: I read somwhere that the car has to be in sleeping mode (the 15-16 minutes) if tinkering with SRS system. Replace battery terminals.

Edit: Here is how to remove sport steering wheel airbag:
http://youtu.be/pSYCOo_revw

#26 ·
Found this thread searching, Im about to replace my bus wheel. The car sits alot know and I find my self staring at it after work before going in the house, I cant wait to hopefully find one and have it alcantara wrapped bfore install.

#27 ·
Waiting for the round airbag to replace the bus steering wheel on my X5 w the Sport one from a 4.6is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.