BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. I am special ordering a 650i with special paint and interior. Problem is they will cease producing the 650 in Feb. 10 and begin retooling for the new model due out late 2010 or in 2011. My question is..I have the fever bad for a custom built 650, should I wait for the new model or should I go ahead with my plans for this one. I have been told that even if I want to proceed they may not be able to build the car since production ends in Feb. I guess one concern I have is that spending a bunch a money on a car at the end of a body change run. I have heard there will probably be a hard top convertible for the new model also. BUT, if they can make my car would YOU proceed?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is the deal. I am special ordering a 650i with special paint and interior. Problem is they will cease producing the 650 in Feb. 10 and begin retooling for the new model due out late 2010 or in 2011. My question is..I have the fever bad for a custom built 650, should I wait for the new model or should I go ahead with my plans for this one. I have been told that even if I want to proceed they may not be able to build the car since production ends in Feb. I guess one concern I have is that spending a bunch a money on a car at the end of a body change run. I have heard there will probably be a hard top convertible for the new model also. BUT, if they can make my car would YOU proceed?
I have heard that the vert will remain a ragtop. IMO would go ahead now and buy since you already have on your mind to go with the 6. Most of the kinks have been worked out for current model. I would never buy new model on 1st year run, usually have many new problems popping up. I have experienced this before with another make. When the new 3.0 turbo came out for 5 series they had problems relating to fuel pumps. The next gen. 6 will be a 4.4 turbo it will be new and untested. I just bought my 650 and love it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For me I would absolutely do it. But I have a track record of keeping cars for 2-3 years then selling them for something different. I say if you can get it made, go for it. First year runs are always iffy and seem to have a few glitches here and there. Not to mention you'd be waiting for almost a year before you can order one of the new ones.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd get the new one only if to get latest technology...but thats just my own preference. The 4.4 turbo has been out for a few mos now in the 750 and X6 so hopefully will have worked though some bugs by the time you get your next gen 6. I've also seen rumors the next gen will be ragtop. Agree with others that there are risks with a first year model run, especially with something as complex as a 6 series but I'd think its worth it. Either one will be an enormous upgrade from your SC, assuming you enjoy driving.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I personally am very impatient and can't wait for things, but if you can I would much rather have a newer style model car especially if they are changing the body style. Even though your 09 will be new as soon as they change the body style and the new ones are out yours already looks (feels) old! Besides who cares about new model glitches, thats why you have the 4 year warranty. And you probably will not even keep it that long. What ever you decide Good Luck!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today the higher ups from BMW NA were in town as they are visiting the dealerships in the Southern region. When asked if there were any problems they could help with, the GM of the dealership and owner told them about my situation. They explained that I have been waiting to place an order but it takes forever to get an answer. They said the latest answer was that it might be too late to even get an order in being that the 650 is being retooled. They also explained all the different things I wanted done too it and that it takes too long to hear a yes or no to what I want done. At times it appears that they want to wear me down so I will just place a normal order and not an individual. But my dealer has really gone to bat for me and told the reps "it would be different if we did not offer it but we promote the fact that we can individualize a car and 6 weeks has been wasted on going back and forth and now the car might not make the cutoff". Well at lunch the reps told my dealer to check his email and too call the customer and the order could indeed be fullfilled as it would be one of the last if not last ones to be built. It appears they made some calls while at the dealership. So after much thought, I placed the order today...FINALLY! I am waiting to hear the final price and the final YES to all I want done. As soon as, I get that I will post all what I am getting in the car. I am soooo excited about this car. More than I have ever been with any other. I really dont care that it is at the end of a body style run. I just couldnt wait another year or so. If it were next month then I would wait. But even with the body style changes, this one being an individual will keep it unique in my eyes. I dont know if all this makes me an official member of the 6 Family but it appears it is only a matter of time if not:) Thanks again for all you guys who helped me thru this process with your comments and private messages.

·
Nerdy G
908 Posts
nice sting b sure to post pics cant wait to see what u ordered. I

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good for you!! The car is hot and you will love it. You made the right choice and it appears that your dealership really is top notch. Good Luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good for you!! The car is hot and you will love it. You made the right choice and it appears that your dealership really is top notch. Good Luck!
My dealership really stepped up to the plate. The GM there used to be the GM at the Lexus dealership where I have done business with for over 22 years. He kept at it for me. I am convinced however after my experience that you just cant walk into a BMW dealership and say I want the "individual" package. It just doesnt happen that easy. As soon as BMW faxes back the build sheet and prices I will post it. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I see your just as bad as me, Can't wait. Best of luck. Hope to see it soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts