BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having my '08 535xi DME programmed. It halted when the tranfer case module failed to respond. It's the unit under the passenger seat. I understand that the auto transmission module is in the transmission case.

When I ran the Bavarian Technic tests the Gearbox Control Unit was ok. The part the dealer said was bad is part no. 27607567803 which is the transfer box control unit. I don't know if this is the same part or not. If my test said it was good and it didn't work at the dealership then maybe there was just some corrosion on the plug. It got some water on the floor and I cleaned the plug but maybe need to do it again. I opened the box and it was perfect, no water or corrosion. I just need to know if I need to buy a new unit or not ($700). I left the vehicle at the dealership so can't repeat the tests right now. Any help would be appreciated.

· Propellers Up Front
2,020 Posts
When running the test using Bav Tech did you short test all modules or do them individually?
I ask this because it seems to be a problem with testing or clearing faults all at once. I haven't called
them yet about it because It's only happened to me twice, and it does work individually. Find that module,
run it individually and if its good that way then its another issue. This is just to be absolutely sure, along with 2 cents.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do all the modules separately.
Actually I answered my own question. I went up to the dealership yesterday and hooked up the BT unit (after cleaning and testing the plug.) When I did the transfer case test it didn't respond. I'm certain now that the transfer case test is the one that reads out "Gearbox module". Seems BT ought to change the wording a little. Anyway, it worked a few weeks ago but not now so I'm buying a used one. I had the mechanic check the wiring to the transfer case since I had been working in that area recently and he said it all looked ok. So maybe early next week it will be ready to attempt a start. I've never heard it run so this should be fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.