BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy,

I must confess. I am completing my first week with my brand new 530d GT and the say "the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" never make more sense to me.

It is probably the most controversial BMW these days but I do really believe that in the future we will laugh about this :)

I fell in love with the car since my first visit to the BMW dealer. I was there looking for the new X5 or the the X6 but when I boarded the GT all the other options has gone. What a luxury! Look to this technology! I was like a kid in a candy shop... Or a teen in a sexshop :rofl:

The fact is that I am really enjoying the car and tomorrow I am going for the first real drive: Deutsche Alpenstrasse.

Living in Switzerland, this is just a few kms away and after the readings in the forum I decided that this is the ideal place to have the first big drive.

I can barely wait to wake tomorrow early in the morning, import the route on the GPS and hit the start button.

When I come back I will send the pics.

Take care.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Excellent points!

I have a X5 loaner right now and it is such a hippo its crazy! I have a 535 and am moving up to a 550 GT for euro delivery and I am so happy that I was able to experience what a great decision I made by comparing it to the X5. The GT drives like a sedan, a big sedan, but nothing like a SUV.

The personal preferences will continue. I myself like a more east coast/Euro look to my cars. I'm a big fan of wagons as an option for people who need more room and have always been a fan of the old 9-3 hatchbacks. This is a regional/personal preference. Live in the midwest and you will be hard pressed to find a 5 series wagon but out east you can even find them with manuals!

The GT is a home run, for the right person.

·
Registered
612 Posts
To each his own. I sat in a 550 GT last week at the dealership and it just seemed big to me. I'm not a fan of SUVs and the GT is a middle ground between a 5 Series and the X5. Probably to someone used to an X5 the GT is svelte.

Given that in the U.S. SUVs are more popular than wagons, the GT is probably a good way for BMW to offer a more sedan-like SUV with better storage to a population that refuses to buy a wagon. Me, I'm still a fan of the wagon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts