BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am very new to the BMW world and have minimal experience with them, however I am in the market for a 335i. I am currently coming off a 2007 Honda Civic Si. I loved this car, never had a mechanical problem with it, and it was a pleasure to drive it every single time I got behind the wheel. I did modify it a bit; it had an intake, header, exhaust, tune, stage 1 clutch with lightweight flywheel, full Mugen body kit, coilovers, wheels, tints, HID's, a few interior mods such as red door panels, red shift boot, carbon fiber shift knob, things of that nature. However I want a new car and, after 3 years with the civic and being 20 now, I want to take a step away from the honda community that is heavily populated by immature teenagers (I know I am only 20, however I bought nothing but quality parts for my car, so it was far from "ricey" and I was one of the more mature people in my local Honda enthusiast community). I initially was leaning towards an STI or an EVO, but everyone I know around here that heavily mods those (which I would intend to do in order to make 450-500whp) has endless problems with them and I just don't have the money for a daily in the event that my car is down for long periods of time. Then I was seriously looking into purchasing a Subaru BRZ and was in fact pretty close to trading my car for one with a few grand on my end, but after test driving it, it was just too slow for my liking. What ultimately made me decide to purchase a 335i was seeing the decent gas mileage, the solid 300hp, beautiful luxurious interior, and the option to purchase an X-drive model. I live in CT so we see a good amount of snow during the winter months, and my fwd civic just wasn't getting the job done. I fear how rough my life would have been had I traded for the BRZ since it's only available in rwd. For a short time, I was considering purchasing an Infiniti G37s, as it is relatively similar to the 335i in terms of power and luxury, however I don't think it looks as nice, nor does it have an awd option. If I do purchase a 335i, I plan to do something along the lines of the following modifications: exhaust, downpipes/overpipes, jb4 chip, intake, tints, coilovers/air suspension (depends how much I value the handling once I drive it for a while), and wheels. Nothing too crazy, but also not the average 335i. I have done my fair share of research, but I would just like some clarification as well as opinions. To be quite honest, I'm not sure if I want an e90 or an e92. Sometimes I think the coupes just don't look nice, sometimes I think they look so "wow," sometimes I think the sedans are too "typical beamer," and other times they drop my jaw. I really don't think I have much of a preference between the two, but what I definitely know is I want either white, black, or blue and definitely in manual, I refuse to drive automatic regardless of the paddle shifter option, and I definitely want the car to be an X-drive model. Since I am coming off of a sports car and still want a sporty feel to my car, I believe the 335is or the 335i m sport model would be my best bet. One thing I should also mention is I am a college student so reliability is necessary as I do not have a significant amount of money to spend on repairs. Is the 335is available with an X-drive option? How about the 335i m sport? I am certain I want awd, it's a necessity for me knowing my daily commute in the winter. Also, I want either a 2009 or 2011 model. I skipped over 2010 because I read numerous complaints about and its stereo system in particular. I say 2009 because it is the most recent model with the n54 that I am willing to purchase, and I say 2011 because it has the n55 motor but will also be closer to my price range of around 18-20k than newer models (I also want nothing over 70k miles in my new car). I am not sure which one I want more because I really can't decide between the n54 and the n55. I don't plan to keep the car for super long, maybe 4-5 years, and I know the n54 is the lesser reliable of the two but will also give me more power with the modifications I listed. How much more power will I make with the modifications I listed in the n54 over the n55? A ballpark number would be really appreciated, if someone knows, since I will make my decision heavily based on this. Also, what are the major differences between the 2009 and 2011 models (both e90 and e92) outside of the motors? Are the 335is models only coupes? I think the answer is yes, but I am not entirely sure to be honest. How about the m sport models? Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E90 3 Series forum, you'll get more feedback in here. Please use paragraphs so people can read your posts easier.

Tim

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome. I am in northern NJ and based on my experience go with the 335i and not x drive, or at least look at the differences. The x drive sits a bit higher which is great for ground clearance in a snowstorm, but does not come with the sport suspension. I have the sport suspension and use dedicated winter tires. Never had an issue with the snow.

Get a late model N54 as they seem to respond better to tuning over the N55.

The 335is (I have this car in a convertible) was made for the track and as such does not have x drive. Outside of the DCT you can replicate the "is" somewhat with a JB tune and a performance exhaust, but the IS comes standard with additional cooling capacity (and stronger engine mounts) for the track.

Good luck!

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
Spend a good bit of time reading the posts in this forum. The N54 motor has lots of potential for those that are not intimidated. check out CALWATERBOY DUE link to his mods that he did to his 335. It will give you a lot of great ideas and very useful advice. That guy is really good.

Cheers

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Spend a good bit of time reading the posts in this forum. The N54 motor has lots of potential for those that are not intimidated. check out CALWATERBOY DUE link to his mods that he did to his 335. It will give you a lot of great ideas and very useful advice. That guy is really good.

Cheers
^^^ +1 Yes, read all of CALWATERBOYS tidbits. Walking BMW encyclopedia. HE SHOULD BE THE ONE SPEAKING TONIGHT INSTEAD OF THE WALKING/TALKING CIRCUS TRUMP! I vote CALWATERBOY for president! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys,

I am very new to the BMW world and have minimal experience with them, however I am in the market for a 335i. I am currently coming off a 2007 Honda Civic Si. I loved this car, never had a mechanical problem with it, and it was a pleasure to drive it every single time I got behind the wheel.

I did modify it a bit; it had an intake, header, exhaust, tune, stage 1 clutch with lightweight flywheel, full Mugen body kit, coilovers, wheels, tints, HID's, a few interior mods such as red door panels, red shift boot, carbon fiber shift knob, things of that nature. However I want a new car and, after 3 years with the civic and being 20 now, I want to take a step away from the honda community that is heavily populated by immature teenagers (I know I am only 20, however I bought nothing but quality parts for my car, so it was far from "ricey" and I was one of the more mature people in my local Honda enthusiast community).

I initially was leaning towards an STI or an EVO, but everyone I know around here that heavily mods those (which I would intend to do in order to make 450-500whp) has endless problems with them and I just don't have the money for a daily in the event that my car is down for long periods of time. Then I was seriously looking into purchasing a Subaru BRZ and was in fact pretty close to trading my car for one with a few grand on my end, but after test driving it, it was just too slow for my liking.

What ultimately made me decide to purchase a 335i was seeing the decent gas mileage, the solid 300hp, beautiful luxurious interior, and the option to purchase an X-drive model. I live in CT so we see a good amount of snow during the winter months, and my fwd civic just wasn't getting the job done. I fear how rough my life would have been had I traded for the BRZ since it's only available in rwd. For a short time, I was considering purchasing an Infiniti G37s, as it is relatively similar to the 335i in terms of power and luxury, however I don't think it looks as nice, nor does it have an awd option.

If I do purchase a 335i, I plan to do something along the lines of the following modifications: exhaust, downpipes/overpipes, jb4 chip, intake, tints, coilovers/air suspension (depends how much I value the handling once I drive it for a while), and wheels. Nothing too crazy, but also not the average 335i. I have done my fair share of research, but I would just like some clarification as well as opinions. To be quite honest, I'm not sure if I want an e90 or an e92. Sometimes I think the coupes just don't look nice, sometimes I think they look so "wow," sometimes I think the sedans are too "typical beamer," and other times they drop my jaw. I really don't think I have much of a preference between the two, but what I definitely know is I want either white, black, or blue and definitely in manual, I refuse to drive automatic regardless of the paddle shifter option, and I definitely want the car to be an X-drive model.

Since I am coming off of a sports car and still want a sporty feel to my car, I believe the 335is or the 335i m sport model would be my best bet. One thing I should also mention is I am a college student so reliability is necessary as I do not have a significant amount of money to spend on repairs. Is the 335is available with an X-drive option? How about the 335i m sport? I am certain I want awd, it's a necessity for me knowing my daily commute in the winter. Also, I want either a 2009 or 2011 model.

I skipped over 2010 because I read numerous complaints about and its stereo system in particular. I say 2009 because it is the most recent model with the n54 that I am willing to purchase, and I say 2011 because it has the n55 motor but will also be closer to my price range of around 18-20k than newer models (I also want nothing over 70k miles in my new car). I am not sure which one I want more because I really can't decide between the n54 and the n55. I don't plan to keep the car for super long, maybe 4-5 years, and I know the n54 is the lesser reliable of the two but will also give me more power with the modifications I listed.

How much more power will I make with the modifications I listed in the n54 over the n55? A ballpark number would be really appreciated, if someone knows, since I will make my decision heavily based on this. Also, what are the major differences between the 2009 and 2011 models (both e90 and e92) outside of the motors? Are the 335is models only coupes? I think the answer is yes, but I am not entirely sure to be honest. How about the m sport models? Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Some paragraphs help make your post readable. Good luck. I'd go rwd and get snow tires too, but if you are dead set on X-drive, you'll get great traction with all those mods and increased power. I can't have rwd where I am, so Ms and the like are just in my dreams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,

I am very new to the BMW world and have minimal experience with them, however I am in the market for a 335i. I am currently coming off a 2007 Honda Civic Si. I loved this car, never had a mechanical problem with it, and it was a pleasure to drive it every single time I got behind the wheel. I did modify it a bit; it had an intake, header, exhaust, tune, stage 1 clutch with lightweight flywheel, full Mugen body kit, coilovers, wheels, tints, HID's, a few interior mods such as red door panels, red shift boot, carbon fiber shift knob, things of that nature. However I want a new car and, after 3 years with the civic and being 20 now, I want to take a step away from the honda community that is heavily populated by immature teenagers (I know I am only 20, however I bought nothing but quality parts for my car, so it was far from "ricey" and I was one of the more mature people in my local Honda enthusiast community). I initially was leaning towards an STI or an EVO, but everyone I know around here that heavily mods those (which I would intend to do in order to make 450-500whp) has endless problems with them and I just don't have the money for a daily in the event that my car is down for long periods of time. Then I was seriously looking into purchasing a Subaru BRZ and was in fact pretty close to trading my car for one with a few grand on my end, but after test driving it, it was just too slow for my liking. What ultimately made me decide to purchase a 335i was seeing the decent gas mileage, the solid 300hp, beautiful luxurious interior, and the option to purchase an X-drive model. I live in CT so we see a good amount of snow during the winter months, and my fwd civic just wasn't getting the job done. I fear how rough my life would have been had I traded for the BRZ since it's only available in rwd. For a short time, I was considering purchasing an Infiniti G37s, as it is relatively similar to the 335i in terms of power and luxury, however I don't think it looks as nice, nor does it have an awd option. If I do purchase a 335i, I plan to do something along the lines of the following modifications: exhaust, downpipes/overpipes, jb4 chip, intake, tints, coilovers/air suspension (depends how much I value the handling once I drive it for a while), and wheels. Nothing too crazy, but also not the average 335i. I have done my fair share of research, but I would just like some clarification as well as opinions. To be quite honest, I'm not sure if I want an e90 or an e92. Sometimes I think the coupes just don't look nice, sometimes I think they look so "wow," sometimes I think the sedans are too "typical beamer," and other times they drop my jaw. I really don't think I have much of a preference between the two, but what I definitely know is I want either white, black, or blue and definitely in manual, I refuse to drive automatic regardless of the paddle shifter option, and I definitely want the car to be an X-drive model. Since I am coming off of a sports car and still want a sporty feel to my car, I believe the 335is or the 335i m sport model would be my best bet. One thing I should also mention is I am a college student so reliability is necessary as I do not have a significant amount of money to spend on repairs. Is the 335is available with an X-drive option? How about the 335i m sport? I am certain I want awd, it's a necessity for me knowing my daily commute in the winter. Also, I want either a 2009 or 2011 model. I skipped over 2010 because I read numerous complaints about and its stereo system in particular. I say 2009 because it is the most recent model with the n54 that I am willing to purchase, and I say 2011 because it has the n55 motor but will also be closer to my price range of around 18-20k than newer models (I also want nothing over 70k miles in my new car). I am not sure which one I want more because I really can't decide between the n54 and the n55. I don't plan to keep the car for super long, maybe 4-5 years, and I know the n54 is the lesser reliable of the two but will also give me more power with the modifications I listed. How much more power will I make with the modifications I listed in the n54 over the n55? A ballpark number would be really appreciated, if someone knows, since I will make my decision heavily based on this. Also, what are the major differences between the 2009 and 2011 models (both e90 and e92) outside of the motors? Are the 335is models only coupes? I think the answer is yes, but I am not entirely sure to be honest. How about the m sport models? Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Not sure if the two can be compared. I myself have owned EP3 type R and 335i. The two are different type of cars. The type r was much lighter and more responsive when in vtec (initially) however the BMW is much more powerful. On full boost you can climb crazy speeds in the same gear. Something the type r cant compare to. I cant help but say I prefer the type r on B roads, and 335i on A roads. Oh and I'm not sure what mpg your getting in the civic Si, but the EP3 was averaging around 25mpg. Well capable of 32mpg, and highest was 40mpg. When pushing it like I robbed a bank it would return lowest 17mpg.

The BMW 335i on the other hand, with me trying my best to drive eco including motorway journey returned 29mpg. I dont think i can do any better. Driving eco to work everyday (10miles each way) is averaging 19mpg. When i use boost on one drive only, average will lower to 16mpg. If I drive it like I robbed a bank, it will return 12mpg.

Currently with mixed driving its returning 17mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts