BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have a 95 540i auto the rotors are in desperate need of change and i would like to get some slotted and drilled, one of my question is where is the best place to buy some. My second question is the E31 850cs rotors, can they fit on my 95 with the same calipers or will i need different calipers (i do have on 18 inch rims). My third question, what is the most popular upgrade use for the front brakes. Thank you in advance for whom ever have good/great ideas and yes i searched but advice is always better.

· Manualaholic
1,988 Posts
First, I do not recommend slotted, drilled, or drilled & slotted rotors. There's lots of discussion on this topic on the internet and on this very informative website.
Regardless what kind of rotor you're looking for, check out the sponsors on this site- they offer a good selection of quality OEM replacements.
I'm not sure of the e31 brakes on your e34... someone will chime in on that.
A popular "upgrade" is low-dust brake pads, which reduce the brake dust significantly. I used to wash my wheels every week, but I've gone a month before the same amount of dust builds up with my new pads/rotors. Coated rotors are always nice as well- they don't rust quickly, which is ideal since your rotors are mostly visible with 18" wheels.

EDIT: I have Balo rotors and PBR pads on the front. I switched to PBR Metalmaster pads and Zimmerman rotors an all four corners on my e46 and they work great! Highly recommended. One last bit of advice: you don't need to drop hundreds of dollars on state-of-the-art rotors and pads. I am almost certain you don't race/autocross your e34, and therefore will not have a need for performance braking components. IMHO. :thumbup:

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
the E34 540i was the fastest stopping production sedan in its day, if you replace your worn out bits with genuine E34 youll be fine. You dont need the performance of aftermarket, unless you are racing the car which i highly doubt. if you need more performance, press the pedal harder. simple. of course, if you want that slotted look behind the wheels, then thats fine.

As for E31, yes the rotors fit but you need to find E31 850i/Ci calipers too. 850CSi are bigger again and the biggest bolt on upgrade for the E34. 18" wheels will be fine if they are BMW wheels, otherwise you will likely have clearance issues, the E31 calipers are enormous.

· Registered
2,479 Posts
Stear clear of the drilled and slotted brake sets. The less expensive ones will warp especially when used with ceramic pads. OEM type like Brembo are great. For a more sporty look without having to worry about warping, look into Power Slots.

Unless you are going to spend a few grand per axil, I would stay away from the cross drilled/slotted rotors. Another mod you can do is use steel braded brake lines. The kits are not that expensive.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the E34 540i was the fastest stopping production sedan in its day, if you replace your worn out bits with genuine E34 youll be fine. You dont need the performance of aftermarket, unless you are racing the car which i highly doubt. if you need more performance, press the pedal harder. simple. of course, if you want that slotted look behind the wheels, then thats fine.

As for E31, yes the rotors fit but you need to find E31 850i/Ci calipers too. 850CSi are bigger again and the biggest bolt on upgrade for the E34. 18" wheels will be fine if they are BMW wheels, otherwise you will likely have clearance issues, the E31 calipers are enormous.
pushing the pedal down any harder when its on the floor at 130 will not help (i am govern there) this is why i request information on a good upgrade as i need to change my front rotors and pads, i do not mind upgrading.

· Registered
43 Posts
My $0.02
540 brakes are everyone else's upgrades who own a E34 but not a 540. If it were mine I would rebuild the calipers and replace slave, upgrade the pads, turn the rotors, and add install braided steel brake lines. Then call it a day and drink beer.

· Josh
854 Posts
pushing the pedal down any harder when its on the floor at 130 will not help (i am govern there) this is why i request information on a good upgrade as i need to change my front rotors and pads, i do not mind upgrading.
How often are you driving at 130? Seriously slow down homie. Just because these cars can do that speed doesn't mean you have to. You want to know the biggest brake upgrade?It is not to push the gas so hard.

· Josh
854 Posts
Don't get me wrong the speed is addicitive, I've had mine up to 145. However it scared the crap out of me. What you gotta think about is while you're going 130 everyone else is doing 60-70 not thinking about you going that fast. That's what happened to me, I had an suv merge into my lane so I had to change to the middle lane then a minivan decided to merge. I missed both by inches. If they would have pulled in the lane 2 seconds faster no brake upgrade would have saved me. Just be careful man,they're has been a few kids around here killed trying to drive fast. Anyone can go fast, it takes skill and experience to know just when and how to use it safely.

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
wait so you are going 130mph hour on a public road, and your panic stopping. get your head out of your ass and slow down, and you wont have to panic stop. you dont need upgraded brakes on a road car with a standard engine. My E34 has a 5.0L V12 in it, I'm still running 540i brakes. you dont need more than that if you arent a **** on the road.

i really wish i hadn't helped you.

· Josh
854 Posts
Pics are from May, he went home in April. As far as I know he's making a full recovery, not one of my friends like I said.
But from the comments on the pics I can tell you that he had to get jaw reconstruction surgery, and his ankle was shattered.
I'm not sure about other injuries, but you can tell he got pretty messed up.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wait so you are going 130mph hour on a public road, and your panic stopping. get your head out of your ass and slow down, and you wont have to panic stop. you dont need upgraded brakes on a road car with a standard engine. My E34 has a 5.0L V12 in it, I'm still running 540i brakes. you dont need more than that if you arent a **** on the road.

i really wish i hadn't helped you.
calm down boy you are already living with regrets. Do not assume things in ur little head to make ur self feel better.
The topic is about brakes and not how fast i go or where i do it,
Why do u assume it was on public road?
Why do u assume i panic stopping?

· Registered
934 Posts
Andy your touring has a V12?!? Why haven't I seen any pics hahaha.

And to OP, chill out. You shouldn't need any upgrade for your brakes as they are 540 ones. Do a flush and put some stainless lines on and you'll be good for all your asshatery and stupid driving. I say this cause youre totally endangering others. Save the speed for the track

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
click the link in my signature :D

also to the OP, you yourself said your panic stopping when you say your foot wont go down any further on the brakes. I also know you are doing it on a road too because anyone with more than one days track experience would know thats not how you brake on a track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.