BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For manual transmissions:

When idling at a stoplight, should the clutch be depressed with the gearshift in first to enable quick maneuverability for an emergency? Or should neutral be selected with the clutch pedal released to minimize wear of the throw out bearing?

Any suggestions?

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
9 times out of 10, I leave it in neutral when idling unless I'm on a hill or getting ready to smoke somebody off the line. I guess it reduces wear, but you never know when you may need to throw it into reverse! I've seen plenty of dumbos yapping on cell phones or not paying attention and all of a sudden they start rolling backwards into another car... :tsk: :mad:

·
3,762 Posts
geomax said:
I heard leaving the clutch in promotes rapid wear of the throw out bearing. And given the problematic nature of BMW clutches, why tempt fate?
Makes sense that it would.

For me, it depends on where and when I'm idling. If it's going to be a long light, then I let the clutch out in neutral. Otherwise I keep it in gear and ready to go.

·
10,856 Posts
I usually stick it in neutral when I'm coming up to a light, then leave it there until it turns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.