Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Constantly Working
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I am hoping to buy my first E39 540i this week. I am starting a new job, and I have had this car on my bucket list for the longest time. I have spotted a suitable candidate, with 80k miles, and I have been researching everything I need to look out for when I check the car, but I still have a couple of questions:

1. Apart from the Vanos, control arm components, and the brakes, is there any other component I can check while test driving? The idea is if it passes the test drive inspection, then I can take it to a mechanic to have it inspected more thoroughly.

2. Does anyone know of a reputable BMW certified mechanic they can refer me to, to have the car inspected? I am based in orange county, southern California.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and appreciate any input

Supre39man Thanks you

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Depending on where you live in OC, Autowerkes in Huntington Beach (near the library) has treated me great since I got my first BMW in 1987.
They do pre-purchase inspections, also.

·
Constantly Working
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the helpful responses. I ended up getting a pre-purchase inspection with Autowerkes. They were as meticulous and as professional as I could have hoped for, and they gave me a really good picture of the car's condition. I ended up buying my first car, and now my very first BMW E39 540i. The very next day I took it from LA to Sedona, and now know why this truly is a fantastically designed car. Thanks again!

Supre39man Thanks you

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Supre39man - Glad Autowerkes worked out for you.
If you ever need work done on your e39, if you're local enough, they can come by in the morning & pick up the car, drive it to their shop, do the work, and drive it back to your place in the early evening.
Quite convenient. Plus they wash & clean the car.

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Welcome. Smart to get a thorough PPI. What did it find, warn you about?

·
Constantly Working
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update 2: well, it was just the bushings, and when we made attempts to get the new bushings into the old control arms. Apparently the previous owner had control arms that wouldn't fit the standard oem bushing. Probably explains why the bushings failed after just 10000 miles. The shop had the car for eight hours, but major props, they didn't charge me for a minute of the labor they put in. I said I'd take the car and order the part online, then bring the car back to get the work done. So now I bought the required control arm and made sure they're the real deal this time around. Now it's a matter of waiting for the delivery and then rescheduling the service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts