BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to DIY with the door speaker...i got some Pioneer 4in last nite from frys but i think i am gonna return those since they are only 25w RMS (which i think is not diff than stock ones)

the front door panel is kindda off..i say kindda is because is not totally detached from the door BUT is off enuff that i can get to the speakers and removed the stock ones already

my question is that it seems like there are no drain hose in the front door correct?? because i am not seeing any kind of plastic hose or anything...i know the rear door got em......can anyone confirm that??

rite now i am planning to do the speakers on the front first and then go from there

pict will follow, i'll probably do a step by step thing if successful

any input, help suggestion would be nice

PS i am planning to return those Pioneer and get something else.....i looked at some polk and sondering if it'll fit of course i want those Kappa 4s as mentioned....but i dunno if i can find them for a decent price besides online...so we'll see

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a few different speaker choices i finally got some Polk audio Db401...they were a bit of a tight fit....pics will be up later tonite or tomorrow

·
Registered
181 Posts
What is the depth of those? I heard that you need shallow speakers. How did the sound improve with just the speakers? Please do a step by stel.

Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrite hopefully these instructions would help...i am not that good in writing instructions.....

the sound imporvement is day and night...i have a Pionner AVIC N2 head unit and i am just using the built in MOSFET amp of 50w X 4

mild and high range is SOOOO much better, cant tell too much of the bass since i set the 'cut off' feature on the headunit to have all low freq cut off to the speakers (i have a 10in bazooka sub in the back for bass)

http://webpages.charter.net/vodkag/temp/X3.pdf

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Hi Folks the cut out depth is just a little under 2 inches. I have the infinity kappa 42.7's mounted which are 1 7/8" in depth. They are rolled off at 80Hz to the sub. I will be changing the sub to the new shallow mount 8" pioneers so I can do away with the box in the trunk and have those mounted under the seats.

I posted pictures of my installations amps and all somewhere on this website a year ago. You can probably do a search and find the whole step by step process.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
4,252 Posts
Upgrade

Some of you may want to upgrade your power as well. Here is where I mounted two Alpine Amps. One handles the 4 speakers, the other the subs. I will be changing to the new pioneer 8" mounts when I get the new X3. I also have some pics showing the exact measurements for the sub area under the seat. Sorry let me re-link on next thread.

·
4,252 Posts
Try Again

It's late so I'll try once more

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Folks the cut out depth is just a little under 2 inches. I have the infinity kappa 42.7's mounted which are 1 7/8" in depth.
So these fit in the front doors without any modification?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i believe so...

·
4,252 Posts
FBM,

I didn't do any mods or cutting for the Infinty's. Vodka great pdf do it yourselfer on the other link btw.

I finally got the go ahead on my new 08. I will be installing the Pioneer shallow depth 8" when it arrives as well as some new toys (Alpine DSP and possibly broad band audio connections).

Will do a whole new detail when I get there--Now the 2 month wait begins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts