BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 650 is pretty durned good, but anything can be improved.
What improvements can you think of that don't require major redesign?

I'll start.

In no particular order:
1. Make the aux-in standard (I believe this has been done for MY 2007).
2. Speed-up the iDrive response.
3. Provide iPod integration.
4. More colour choices.
5. Option for Garage Door Opener power to be selected via iDrive (always hot/hot when ignition on).
6. Audio system (and window) power to be maintained until door is opened.
7. Make iDrive screens "sticky" so that when you select an area you get the same screen you last used.
8. Integrate Start/Stop button into main ignition switch

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
So far just based on the ordering process and a 2h test drive, no particular order neither:

9. Rear seat pass-through as standard option, even if you don't order the ski bag :tsk:
10. Black carpets with the chateau interior
11. Turn signals and tachometer (including redline) integrated in HUD
(11b. Configurable HUD via iDrive)
12. More and narrower bands in the bass section of the Logic7 equalizer
13. Adjustable PDC sensor range
14. M6 rear body kit and 7speed SMGIII available as option :rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
There should be a button on the steering wheel to turn Bluetooth off and on instead of having to go through the menu

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gran Turismo said:
9. Rear seat pass-through as standard option, even if you don't order the ski bag :tsk:
11. Turn signals and tachometer (including redline) integrated in HUD and configurable HUD via iDrive)
12. More and narrower bands in the bass section of the Logic7 equalizer
13. Adjustable PDC sensor range
I'd agree with those.

I'd add:

1. Volume control of some type, configurable through the iDrive Car Settings, for the warning chime
2. Warning screen bypass
3. The idea of the iDrive returning to previous screen when starting up.
4. Voice commands to recognize Sat Radio channel names.

·
Registered
603 Posts
And perhaps:
1. The ability to search for a POI in Nav
2. Expand the text area (at the bottom left) of iDrive screen to show more text than just "MP3 001", for example
3. Show the ID3 tag of MP3 songs (with artist name, album name, etc.)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
1. Driving wheel seems a bit disconnected with the road.
2. Lose some weight.
3. When parallel parking, only the right side mirror tilts down to see the curb, but that only works when you are parking on the right side of the road. They also need to do it for the left side.
4. Bump up horsepower to 400 (not a minor improvement)
5. Better trunk lights.
6. Much better maintenance manuals.
7. Having to hold down the convertible roof button(s) for the entire duration of roof deployment/unemployment is a pain in the @ss. Change that.
8. Windshield wipers should completely tuck underneath the hood when not in use.
9. Allow hot key buttons to drill down to any option accessible through iDrive knob.
10. Pause CD when iDrive gives directions, don't continue with muted sound.
11. Actually, different volume control knob for iDrive voice.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
1. Have carpeting rather than leather (or whatever the hell the stuff is) on the lower interior part of the driver's door adjacent to the "door pocket." When there is a car too close, you can't open the door wide and as you swing your left foot out, you hit against the damn door (or at least I do). (I think that's why Lord Spaceandahalf takes up more than 1 parking space.)

2. Have a way to turn off the damn chimes! They go off without rhyme or reason sometimes. Amazing.

3. Retrofit keyless starting even though we can't have the full suite of options. (I refuse to use the "CA" term.) Inserting the fob and then pressing the start button is ridiculous. Also, the start button should be on the gear shift knob as it is on my CL55.

4. Have a steering wheel stalk rather than a button (in 2 places, no less) for voice commands (again, like the Mercedes). And teach the poor bastard inside our iDontDrive how to pronounce the words. While recognition of our voices seems pretty good to me, the guy inside speaks Robot. He can't even say "Voice Mail" intelligibly, and you'd think that was one word BMW would have down pat for phone callers.

5. Return to the good old turn indicator stalk, indented to the direction of the turn. The current turn indicator stalk system is stupid and hard to end when your turn is only a lane change. BMW fixed something here that wasn't broke and broke it.

6. Don't combine the panic button and the trunk opening button on the fob. Another stupidity. Boy, if BMW's wimpy lawyers knew about that one, they'd be sweating bullets.

7. Speaking about the lawyers, remove the effing "Accept" screen. Totally useless to both BMW and to drivers. It interferes with the driver's use of the iDrive system just when he most needs it -- the first 28 seconds after he gets in the vehicle. And it's an annoyance.

8. Have a public execution of the engineers who decided to use a Microsoft OS, after a show trial. (I do believe in "due process.") And while we're at it, let's execute the lawyers who came up with the "Accept" screen idea, just for good measure.

9. Permit owners to chose non RF tyres, and remove the battery from the place in the trunk where a space saver can go.

10. Hire a human being who understands BMWs and English to write the owner's manual. And change the spelling of "principle" to "principal" the 125 times it's misspelled in the current owner's manuals (645Ci and 650i). In one place "principle" is spelled (and used) correctly. Maybe we should send the person responsible for the owner's manual to the gallows, too.

I like all the other suggestions, except the sound system ones as I don't have premium sound or an MP3 player. I did take the "lose some weight" suggestion personally.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mal, you do know that you can defeat the turn signals' "3 flash" mode in the iDrive don't you? I find it much easier to use that way.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Mal, you do know that you can defeat the turn signals' "3 flash" mode in the iDrive don't you? I find it much easier to use that way.
I like the 3 flahses. I hate to sound like a one-note-johnny, but the CL55 has that feature, too. It always goes off after 3 flashes -- in the Bimmer (as well as the Merc).

When I make a lane change (Lord Help Us!) and signal it in advance in the Bimmer, and barely turn the wheel, the damn turn signal sometimes doesn't go off. It's a pain then to nudge it just right to get it turned off. Other times it will go off just as I am nudging it, and then I look like an idiot indicating my turn again, or an opposite turn. Why couldn't BMW just leave the frigging turn indicator stalks alone?

·
Registered
249 Posts
A very minor point, but the right turn signal indicator in the instrument cluster is situated to far to the right for me. I can't see it when I have the steering wheel where I want it.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Malibubimmer said:
...Why couldn't BMW just leave the frigging turn indicator stalks alone?
I suspect it was to reduce the mechanical parts in that system, as they are known to be wear-prone (not just in BMWs).

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Agree with thoughts above. From me:-

(1) Make the 6 CD stacker easily accessible, like in the 7 series (press a button it pops out), not hidden at the inside wall of the far reaching corner of the glove box.

(2) Change the font on the model labelling that is mounted on the trunk. 650i for example looks like 620i. (Anal I know).

(3) Improve the screen resolution. It's good now but I think it could be better. And of course make iDrive respond faster with some of the voice commands. (Maybe it's me with my pronunciation).

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
KidK said:
A very minor point, but the right turn signal indicator in the instrument cluster is situated to far to the right for me. I can't see it when I have the steering wheel where I want it.
Both for me. And, the steering wheel is canted to the left, if you look at it from outside the car. That's a packaging thing.

·
servant to the people
149 Posts
1. Use the world spec headlights instead of the US only version with the ugly amber lens

2. Spare Tire

3. Extend rear passenger area. It's useless.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
FrankMB said:
1. Use the world spec headlights instead of the US only version with the ugly amber lens

2. Spare Tire

3. Extend rear passenger area. It's useless.
And while you're at it, make it lighter and not an inch longer. We want better packaging!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Small Things, Oh Ways...

Credit card key access.
Individual (US).
Brighter aluminum rings.
20" rims standard. (Weight <=19" Ellipsoids)
DVD-TV (US).
Cooler/Ice box
Cooler/Heater cup holder. (Based on the climate active settings)
Dual-Zone active cruise control.
High Definition SAT-Radio. (Quality and power suck)
Larger steering wheel
Higher standards for BT compatibility. (To many manufacturer issues)
MP3 6-CD changer capability.
Better gas mileage.:rofl:

·
Nothing witty here
2,604 Posts
How about a self-defense mechanism so when vandals and other unwashed masses get close, a machine gun or flame thrower comes out and tracks their movements until they move away. If they lay hands on the car, then all bets are off!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts