BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge has been acting weird lately. The needle swings about a quarter tank in either direction while I drive. The other day I ran out of gas with a quarter tank showing on the gauge! Any idea what's up here?

·
Registered
44 Posts
maybe the sending unit? I did a search on the forums about this earlier. Some people mentioned about the sending unit. Sorry that I couldn't be of much help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you've got two fuel sending units that have a float mechanism to indicate fuel level in the tank. the resistor that measures the amount of resistance which is then converted to the fill volume is probably bad on one of the sending units. problem is you don't know which one. each costs about $80.

it's not an uncommon problem. you can diy and buy both at $160 or take your car to the shop and pay for one plus labor. second option might end up costing a little more?

they're located in the gas tank and are accessible by removing the rear seat bottom. open the two round metal caps on either side of car and they'r right there. they'll have a little plastic float attached to a metal arm.

it's a pretty easy fix. hope this helps.

rrb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also check to see if you have any dents in your gas tank. My old 735 had a dent and did this all the time. I don't think this'll be an easy fix but at least you'll know what the issue is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RiceRiceBaby said:
you've got two fuel sending units that have a float mechanism to indicate fuel level in the tank. the resistor that measures the amount of resistance which is then converted to the fill volume is probably bad on one of the sending units. problem is you don't know which one. each costs about $80.

it's not an uncommon problem. you can diy and buy both at $160 or take your car to the shop and pay for one plus labor. second option might end up costing a little more?

they're located in the gas tank and are accessible by removing the rear seat bottom. open the two round metal caps on either side of car and they'r right there. they'll have a little plastic float attached to a metal arm.

it's a pretty easy fix. hope this helps.

rrb.
Thanks for the help! My car hasn't been involved in any incidents that would dent the fuel tank so I'll try the sending units. I appreciate you detailing how to replace them. Thanks!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.