BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 04 330i about a year ago and got 1500 off of the MSRP price. At the time it seemed like a good deal because these cars sell pretty well in my area and I didn't want to travel to another dealer. Now if I would've waited a year later I could've saved $7000 off MSRP??? Holy crap, if I only had a crystal ball. Not to mention that because of this the resale value on my car went down more then usuall this 1st year. I suppose that my only consolation is that I ordered my car, and the incentive is only good for what they have on the lot, but still. Just for fun, I checked the trade-in value on my car because I was thinking about getting an M3, but it's only like 27 - 29K on Edmunds.com, the car's in perfect condition 2004 with 13K miles the original MSRP was $42,570. When the incentives go away will the resale value on the 330i's go up again? Or is this more due to the E90's arrival?

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
Moderato said:
I bought my 04 330i about a year ago and got 1500 off of the MSRP price. At the time it seemed like a good deal because these cars sell pretty well in my area and I didn't want to travel to another dealer. Now if I would've waited a year later I could've saved $7000 off MSRP??? Holy crap, if I only had a crystal ball. Not to mention that because of this the resale value on my car went down more then usuall this 1st year. I suppose that my only consolation is that I ordered my car, and the incentive is only good for what they have on the lot, but still. Just for fun, I checked the trade-in value on my car because I was thinking about getting an M3, but it's only like 27 - 29K on Edmunds.com, the car's in perfect condition 2004 with 13K miles the original MSRP was $42,570. When the incentives go away will the resale value on the 330i's go up again? Or is this more due to the E90's arrival?
Just my $0.02...

I think the value may moderate a little... I don't know about actually going back up, but once the $7K off deals are over with, there will be less downward pressure..

In the case of the E39s, they did very well, once the '03s with the incentives were all sold.. but, of course, the E60 design was very polarizing and I don't see that with the E90 vs. E46...

So, I think you've taken a big hit in depreciation for one year, but it should average out to about normal over three years.... Meaning, your car's depreciation will likely slow up considerably..

At least I hope so... If your car isn't worth crap in another year, what is my '03 325i going to be worth?

regards,
kyfdx

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think that value reflects the incentives or the new model's release.

You won't see that hit until you try to trade it in. The dealer will probably give you a lower number than that and tell you they won't be able to sell your car because of the huge incentives on the new ones. Who would buy a year old used car when they could get a new one for a bit more money?

EDIT - You can figure your Galves value here. The value may vary a bit with miles (this example is for 12,000). Take the 28,300 and add or deduct based on what you have (or don't have) in options shown. Stuff not shown (Xenons, CWP...) won't add value.

For the 330i:

Base Price: @ 11,000 miles 28,300
Mileage: 12,000

..:: ADDS & DEDUCTS

ADD: NAVIGATION + 1,000
ADD: PREMIUM (WOOD TRIM+) + 600
ADD: SPORT (SPORT SEATS +) + 800
DED: W/O AT (-) 800
DED: W/O LEATHER (-) 700
DED: W/O MOON ROOF (POWER) (-) 1,400
As Equipped Price 27,800
Mileage Adjustment -275

GALVES VALUE 27,525

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xspeedy said:
GALVES VALUE 27,525
:eek: So much for my idea of trading in the 330i and getting an M3. Even I take that trade in value I still have to come up with 30K or so for the M3. I've seen 02 Z06's with less the 10K miles going for 35K. I might as well get one of those and keep the 330i, wouldn't that make more sense?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Moderato said:
:eek: So much for my idea of trading in the 330i and getting an M3. Even I take that trade in value I still have to come up with 30K or so for the M3. I've seen 02 Z06's with less the 10K miles going for 35K. I might as well get one of those and keep the 330i, wouldn't that make more sense?
yes. It never really makes sense to dump a new car after a year, because you've absorbed the worst part of the price curve (even w/o the incentive) and don't get the years of service out of the car to make up for it. If you get the used vette, you've let someone take all that nasty depreciation and get a pretty sweet car for a price that makes sense, esp. if its going to be your second car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't sweat it!

Moderato said:
The trade-in value dip is due to BMW dumping '05 330s's. When the supply ends and they introduce the E90's at a MUCH higher effective price, a climb will start in used E46 values. The only thing that will kibbosh this if the E90's are dogs on the market and BMW has to do incentives. Much as I dislike E90's, I doubt this will happen as most BMW buyers just want the BMW badge/image.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Positive outlook

nopcbs said:
The trade-in value dip is due to BMW dumping '05 330s's. When the supply ends and they introduce the E90's at a MUCH higher effective price, a climb will start in used E46 values. The only thing that will kibbosh this if the E90's are dogs on the market and BMW has to do incentives. Much as I dislike E90's, I doubt this will happen as most BMW buyers just want the BMW badge/image.
Also, when BMW gets ready to introduce the M3 and coupe flavors of the E90, they will likley have big incentives on the E46 versions. This will lower the value of used coupes and M3's and this will be your chance to get a good deal on an E46 M3.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
xspeedy said:
EDIT - You can figure your Galves value here.
What's a Galves value and where is here? :dunno:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Moderato said:
The C5 Z06's suffer because you can get a new C6 Vette will almost identical power for a lot less than the Z06 cost new, and have a newer car with better looks. I wonder what a low mileage ZR-1 Vette goes for now. Last I looked, you buy one with less than 1k miles for around 35k. Never buy a new car as an investment (unless its a limited-edition Ferrari, in which case if you can afford it, you don't really need another investment.)

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
JetBlack330i said:
What's a Galves value and where is here? :dunno:
Umm. Dunno where "here" is, but google is your friend. The very first hit for "galves value" goes to the galves web site.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nopcbs said:
nopcbs said:
Also, when BMW gets ready to introduce the M3 and coupe flavors of the E90, they will likley have big incentives on the E46 versions. This will lower the value of used coupes and M3's and this will be your chance to get a good deal on an E46 M3.
I hope you guys are right about this. :)

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cwsqbm said:
The C5 Z06's suffer because you can get a new C6 Vette will almost identical power for a lot less than the Z06 cost new, and have a newer car with better looks. I wonder what a low mileage ZR-1 Vette goes for now. Last I looked, you buy one with less than 1k miles for around 35k. Never buy a new car as an investment (unless its a limited-edition Ferrari, in which case if you can afford it, you don't really need another investment.)
A new C6 with Z51 is about 55K, vs. a used C5 Z06 with 10K miles at 35K. The C6 looks newer and has a better interior but the C5 Z06 will still outperform the C6 Z51 (albeit not by much) and save me 20K. As much as I like the E46 M3, it will never be as comfortable, economical and discrete as the 330i, and conversely it will never out perform the C5 Z06. That's why I'm thinking about getting both. Only problem is my 2 car garage, I don't want either the 330i or the Z06 to live outside and my wife won't let me park her car outside. :confused:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
If you were planning to turn it in so quickly why didn't you think about a lease?

I know that depreciation is a killer in the first 1 to 2 years. I usually buy a car and drive it for atleast 5 or 6 years before trading in, otherwise I'd lease.

I bought a '96 Honda Accord for about $22K in 1996 and just traded it in after 8 1/2 years and got $4,500 trade-in value. That basically computes to a cost of $171.50 per month for the "utility" of driving a car. If you pay $42K for a car and trade it in for say, $30K, after just 18 months then you've just paid $500 per month and probably could have done a short term lease in the area of $350-400 instead. I'm just thinking outloud here.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jetstream23 said:
If you were planning to turn it in so quickly why didn't you think about a lease?

I know that depreciation is a killer in the first 1 to 2 years. I usually buy a car and drive it for atleast 5 or 6 years before trading in, otherwise I'd lease.

I bought a '96 Honda Accord for about $22K in 1996 and just traded it in after 8 1/2 years and got $4,500 trade-in value. That basically computes to a cost of $171.50 per month for the "utility" of driving a car. If you pay $42K for a car and trade it in for say, $30K, after just 18 months then you've just paid $500 per month and probably could have done a short term lease in the area of $350-400 instead. I'm just thinking outloud here.
I wasn't planning on selling it so quickly, I just want an M3 now that's all. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
nopcbs said:
Ahh!!! M3, when will that be, I can't wait. Oh no, I have a coupe so it also means my trade in value will be less too right :bawling: .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts