BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday while i was cruising the 6er on a nice sunny day. all was good until i was at the light and my check engine soon light came on and on my screen it said INCREASED EMISSION... WTF!!!!! does any one know what this is caused from and how to fix it, (( without )) going to the stealership.

thank you.......

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It's a generic message and could mean one of many things. You need to get the codes read to find out what caused the message.

Could be things like O2 sensor, thermostat, MAF, etc...

You could try adding a bottle of Techron for now and see if that clears it up. Sometimes if the gas cap is loose or you use bad gas it causes the error too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
May the power of the search be with you.

There has been many posts regarding this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Happened to my 05' 645ci and it cleared itself, who knows what happened but it wasn't the first time

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
It's a generic message and could mean one of many things. You need to get the codes read to find out what caused the message.

Could be things like O2 sensor, thermostat, MAF, etc...

You could try adding a bottle of Techron for now and see if that clears it up. Sometimes if the gas cap is loose or you use bad gas it causes the error too.
+1 on the 02 sensor

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish it would clear it self.. lol... guess i will find out soon enough..
i hope its not gonna be too much $$$

doe anyone know what the cost was on repairing either 02 sensor or thermostat?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Get one of these. I think around $300. It will tell you if it's the O2 or thermostat.
My thermostat was around $70 and took 30 minutes to install. I changed the coolant while I was at it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I get this all the time, my mothers been driving the 6 recently and last night she told me it came back on.... I told her to park it for a few days and I honestly expect it to go away. In my case it always tends to... Works for me!

P.S. thermostat cost me $100 and made the problem disapear temporarily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go to Advance Auto Parts or some other local parts dealer that has a code scanner. They can scan and clear if it was just a hiccup. My warning came on after running Seafoam, ran a code scan with no errors found. Cleared the code, the light went out and hasn't come back. Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
They told me the reason mine came on was because I allowed the gas level to get too low.
Sounds a bit absurd to me but they reset my computer, I filled up, and didnt see it again until this week when I got beyond empty again.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Be careful. BMW does comply with ODBII but that is just a general set of error codes designed to cover ALL cars manufactured.

BMW has special Hexadecimal codes to indicate the problem with it's specific systems. An example is not many cars have VANOS or a CIC/CCC. Plus there are many model specific modules such as the engine module for an N62. Our cars have 12 or 13 specific modules for a fully loaded 6er. That is why I recommended Bavarian Technic.

Blindly clearing codes can cause more problems later.:yikes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine was a thermostat...
Mine was also a thermostat code P0128. Which is coolant temp low or something along those lines. Plan on doing the thermostat this week and might do a DIY.

Also I see some people paid anywhere between $70 to $100 for the thermostat. I paid just under $68 for a New BMW Thermostat, a gallon of BMW Coolant, and shipping. I got those parts from BMW of Lincoln, NE which sells there BMW parts at this website bmwmercedesparts.com.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my buddy here in the bay area scanned it. (Sonic Motorsports) they work on alot of exotics. when he scanned it the code that kicked bck was a thermostat. the comp said thermosttat got tripped of by getting stuck (once) he re set it and most likely wont happen again. if so its a cheep repair. so no biggie.
since he re set it. i had no probs..

thanks all....

·
Registered
269 Posts
:thumbup:
my buddy here in the bay area scanned it. (Sonic Motorsports) they work on alot of exotics. when he scanned it the code that kicked bck was a thermostat. the comp said thermosttat got tripped of by getting stuck (once) he re set it and most likely wont happen again. if so its a cheep repair. so no biggie.
since he re set it. i had no probs..

thanks all....
Good news :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
645ci Increased Emissions Warning

Last week I dropped my BMW 645ci off for service due to an Increased Emission warning light. The diagnostic test revealed the following:

"Interrogated fault code memory of DME control unit. Faults stored: 2A08; 29FE-Secondary air bank 1 and 2. Performed test plan for secondary air system. Secondary air pump is activating O.K. Found secondary air hose under intake manifold to be leaking."

I declined the $700 charge because I was hoping I could fix this myself, or for a cheaper price. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could easily fix/repair this problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
BMW 645ci Increased Emissions Warning

Last week I dropped my BMW 645ci off for service due to an Increased Emission warning light. The diagnostic test revealed the following:

"Interrogated fault code memory of DME control unit. Faults stored: 2A08; 29FE-Secondary air bank 1 and 2. Performed test plan for secondary air system. Secondary air pump is activating O.K. Found secondary air hose under intake manifold to be leaking."

I declined the $700 charge because I was hoping I could fix this myself, or for a cheaper price. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could easily fix/repair this problem?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.