BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, coming from the M6 GC CP I was expecting (after some test drives in 2015 M3's ) a lack in power, however having taken delivery of the new LCI M3 last week i find this M3 goes like stink even up to 5.5K RPM.
Has anyone else found this this?. Thanks :cool:

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts
Hi All, coming from the M6 GC CP I was expecting (after some test drives in 2015 M3's ) a lack in power, however having taken delivery of the new LCI M3 last week i find this M3 goes like stink even up to 5.5K RPM.

Yes. My friend's M5 feels no faster than my M4. The lower weight allows the M3/M4 to have a smaller engine and achieve similar numbers as the M5/M6.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There's no doubt the M5/6 have greater power, just as there's no doubt any advantage over the M3/4 is offset by weight and traction issues. About the only time the M5/6 have an advantage is with rolling start straight line acceleration.

My only complaint with the M4 is that you can't have the outside temp and digital speedometer displayed simultaneously like you can in the M6, ... and who the f--- cares.

·
Registered
938 Posts
From a stand still the M5/M6 will win 0-100+. I'd love to see a half-mile race between the M5 or M6 and M3/M4.
Yea, perhaps, but what's the point? The M3/4 aren't designed to be drag racers. Neither are the M5/6 for that matter.

There's a particular set of twisties not far from here that have an off camber negative G transition right in the middle. On my M6 you have to hit the right line to position the car so that you can maintain traction when you hit the bottom. Hitting the power too soon is a bad thing.

In my M4 you just flip through the transition and can maintain power throughout and more importantly control.

Make no mistake, love them both, but they are very different cars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yea, perhaps, but what's the point? The M3/4 aren't designed to be drag racers. Neither are the M5/6 for that matter.
Agreed whole heartedly. Drag racing does pretty much nothing for me. ESPECIALLY living in Europe. However, you frequently see Ferraris, Paganis, Ms, Vipers, Lambos, etc. duking it out in half mile races.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.