BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance for yet another CA thread. i have a 2 month old e93 with CA. about 20% of the time, i need to contort my body "just so" to get CA to work (either to permit locking or unlocking). (i am sure, by the way, that to a by-stander it would appear that i am dirty dancing with my door handle as i do this). this happens both with other things in my pocket with the fob or when my pocket has only the fob in it. given how new the car is, i don't imagine the fob has lost its charge.

is there a way to boost the range of the CA to mitigate this problem? :mad:

thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Apologies in advance for yet another CA thread. i have a 2 month old e93 with CA. about 20% of the time, i need to contort my body "just so" to get CA to work (either to permit locking or unlocking). (i am sure, by the way, that to a by-stander it would appear that i am dirty dancing with my door handle as i do this). this happens both with other things in my pocket with the fob or when my pocket has only the fob in it. given how new the car is, i don't imagine the fob has lost its charge.

thanks.
I replaced the battery withing 1 week of ownership and it made a huge difference. YMMV.

·
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic
728 Posts
I replaced the battery withing 1 week of ownership and it made a huge difference. YMMV.
Did you pay for it, or was it done under warranty or covered by the dealer?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

thanks.
are your windows tinted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are your windows tinted?
No. My windows are not tinted. I have been assuming that the CA signal from the vehicle is emitted from somewhere near the front dash (maybe the rearview mirror?). If so, i suppose that it would not be in the "line of sight" of a a pants pocket that was below the level of the window. I discoverd that, if i have the fob in a jacket or shirt pocket, the CA seems to work much better. (by the way, i also notice that activating the roof is MUCH more reliable when i stand up near the front of the car rather than toward the back.)

all of which makes perfect sense, except that i would have expected the CA signal to be "strong" enough to work regardless. i seem to recall that a few years ago, when i owned an X5, the dealer was able to increase the range of the fob to improve the keyless remote access. but who knows -- maybe he just put in a new battery.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The battery isn't used for CA, only for standard FOB functions.

The the OP, do you have the same problem on the passenger door?

A

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

A
Oddly enough, the problem is nowhere near as common when using the passenger door. the plot thickens...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem with my FOB. It rarely works when I try to lock/unlock the drivers side door, but the passenger side works each and every time... :confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Did you pay for it, or was it done under warranty or covered by the dealer?
The battery cost $1.25 at the local grocery store... I didn't even ask if it was covered in the warranty. It would have been a bigger hassle to drop off the car and get a loaner so they could have all day to replace the battery in the remote ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oddly enough, the problem is nowhere near as common when using the passenger door. the plot thickens...
That maybe, but ever since I replaced it the driver door has worked 100% of the time... go figure.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

A
It is used for CA. if you take the battery out of the remote, it will no longer work for CA features. it will still start the car if you put it into the slot in the dash.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is used for CA. if you take the battery out of the remote, it will no longer work for CA features. it will still start the car if you put it into the slot in the dash.
You are correct - I posted this in a different thread a few days ago. CA does use the battery; it isn't RFID.

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts