BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General question for anybody with experience with BMW's Certified Pre-Owned system.

Earlier this year I bought a certified pre-owned F30 328i. I commute a significant distance currently and am now past the factory 50k service plan as well as being into the post 50k CPO warranty. I love the car but am not so much a fan of the dealers. I'm itching to start utilizing an independent BMW shop with actual reputable mechanics. The thing I'm leery of is voiding my CPO warranty, in case something actually bad happens during the next 50k. The internet tells me that according to the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" this would be a violation of federal law, but I still don't trust BMW necessarily.

Anybody have experience taking their CPO cars elsewhere?

(side note, resident of San Francisco. Shop recommendations are all welcome!)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
There are a kazzillion independent shops that specialize in BMWs in the Bay Area. Contact the Golden Gate Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America for recommendations.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would be careful with taking the car to a non-BMW dealer when you still have the CPO warranty. My experience comes from an Audi A4 with a CPO warranty that needed engine work. The Audi dealer insisted on verifying all previous services done to the car by an approved Audi dealer, especially oil changes and routine maintenance. The theory being that if the routine maintenance was not performed by an approved dealer, CPO warranty could be voided. I ran into an issue since previous routine services were done by different Audi dealers, as I was in school while owning the car and was 150 miles from my 'home' dealership. Apparently there is a 'central' service database so the dealer could verify previous services, so the CPO warranty was honored.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,967 Posts
We have only the rights that we defend, Right to Repair (after EFF.org) is a right that we must defend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody have experience taking their CPO cars elsewhere?

(side note, resident of San Francisco. Shop recommendations are all welcome!)
I've taken CPO cars to independent's, and I usually do my own routine maintenance. I've never had a problem with BMW.

Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley is an excellent shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts