BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Indicator lights going out often

1152 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jdauria
I have changed my Front right and left indicator bulbs a few times this past year. I purchased the bulbs from Autozone. Anyone might know why they keep going out often? Is it inferior Sylvania bulbs I buy from Autozone?

Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
If it were the rear lights I'd say maybe it's due to the faulty ground wire in the harness. There's a recall in effect to replace the rear light assembly on E46's. Not sure about your front indicators. probably not faulty bulbs (how likely would that be?)
It's more than likely the connectors. # 3 on attached (Check your voltage output too. Make sure it is a consistent 13.6 to 14.0 when running and voltage is not jumping all over the place).

I have had this experience too on both of my e-46's. I have had to replace all 4 of the connectors because the bulbs kept blowing. No problem afterward.

About $15. I remember going to the dealer and with my 15% discount (CCA member) they were a little cheaper than that for my year-about 5 years ago anyway.... http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&FILTER_BEMI=ON&FILTER_BEX5=ON&FILTER_BMWM=ON

Attachments

This looks about right. I did notice that the connectors were rusted off. Appreciate you posting the links and diagram.

Thank you
It's more than likely the connectors. # 3 on attached (Check your voltage output too. Make sure it is a consistent 13.6 to 14.0 when running and voltage is not jumping all over the place).

I have had this experience too on both of my e-46's. I have had to replace all 4 of the connectors because the bulbs kept blowing. No problem afterward.

About $15. I remember going to the dealer and with my 15% discount (CCA member) they were a little cheaper than that for my year-about 5 years ago anyway.... http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...&FILTER_BEMI=ON&FILTER_BEX5=ON&FILTER_BMWM=ON
Start by replacing your bulbs with genuine BMW bulbs. They cost a bit more than the discount bulbs, but it is a far cheaper solution than replacing any other part.

BMW's are very hard on light bulbs, and often the cheaper ones do not hold up. Many BMW bulbs are single filament, and use a low voltage (for dim illumination), and a high voltage (for bright illumination). I am not sure about the bulbs on your specific car.

If this does not solve your problem, then look at sockets and connectors.

:drive:
Thank you. Just saw this, will definitely get the BMW lights next tiime around.
This happens to mine quite often as well. Front left indicator.

I usually just pop out the corner, take out the bulb and put it back in, and it works again for alittle. I heard getting a new socket does the trick (Only $9-13), so that's my next investment. Taking out the corner takes literally 2 seconds
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.