BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordering at the end of the year and starting to deliberate on colors (more like make myself sick trying to decide). A couple of questions re individual colors on X5M (my client advisor is clueless on this issue).

1. Are the colors that are offered on regular X3/X4/X5/X6 (i.e., those made a Spartanburg) available on X5M? If so, what is cost? I have read that cost is less if it is available on another model produced at same factory but cannot find anything definitive.

2. Are other colors available that are not used at Spartanburg? Specifically, I find Singapore Grey very striking. If so, what is the cost? From what I have been able to determine this should be $5000.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I strongly suggest you consider ordering a car like this from one of the very experienced client advisors on Bimmerfest who know how to do this and who will give you a fair price without all the hassle. You would have to do Performance Center Delivery right at the factory in Spartanburg and drive yourself home in your new X5. A great option to consider.

Two client advisors I can think of offhand who have experience doing this would be Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA or David Padgalskas at BMW Portland, Oregon. Both are Bimmerfest sponsors. There are others, of course, but I'm just giving you a couple of client advisors who have received very positive feedback on the Bimmerfest Feedback Forum.

:)

Greg Poland: http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSponsor.php?action=viewsitesponsor&SpCId=226

David Padgalskas: http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSponsor.php?action=viewsitesponsor&SpCId=356

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. X5M is vehicle I am purchasing. I've had 2 X5 5.0s and currently have X3 3.5. Time to move to dedicated M model!

Presume the fact that it is a true M model won't change your answer.

Really want Singapore Grey. My dealer had a M6 grand coupe in that color and it was gorgeous. Figure if I'm spending $110k on a car another $5k is not that big of a deal.

Do you think Singapore Grey would be doable on the X5M?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that's why I'll probably go with one of the client advisors your recommended. Plan to do PCD (again) anyway so doesn't really matter who I order from.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you pick a generally available color like Singapore and BMW agrees to do it, how much longer does it take to produce the car? That is, what is the delay that is added by individual color?

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
If you pick a generally available color like Singapore and BMW agrees to do it, how much longer does it take to produce the car? That is, what is the delay that is added by individual color?
Probably 3-6 weeks. It's unpredictable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on my research tonight it looks like the Spartanburg plant no longer does individual colors (except for a couple that are specifically list). Anyone have more recent information on this?

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Based on my research tonight it looks like the Spartanburg plant no longer does individual colors (except for a couple that are specifically list). Anyone have more recent information on this?
I wouldn't know but it's understandable considering they're trying push out as many as they possibly can to meet worldwide demand. You can certainly see all sorts of X5's with Individual paint all over the Internet, but maybe that's not available now? Certainly they should be able to give you the same 4 Individual paint colors they currently show as available on the German website: Azurite Black, Ruby Black, Pearl Silver and Pyrite Brown.

http://www.bmw.de/vc/ncc/xhtml/star...e=1&brand=BM&locale=de_DE&name=o1p6o0m5#PAINT

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
With any one of those four colors, you would have something very few other Americans would have even if it's not Singapore Grey.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe those are the only 4 that are available. It appears that you could get other colors on E70 up to a certain point and then they cut it off for E70 and F15.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I believe those are the only 4 that are available. It appears that you could get other colors on E70 up to a certain point and then they cut it off for E70 and F15.
Yes, you could get just about anything based on all the pictures all over the Internet of X5's in every imaginable color. To be honest, whenever you order an Individual paint that is not one of their featured Individual paints for that model, you're risking an unpredictable delay. Instead of 3-6 weeks, you could be looking at more than 3 months.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
OP, feel free to PM. I'll do my best to answer questions regarding individual paint and what's changing for the X5M.
As you can see, there are some dealers who actually have new 2016 X5's in stock with Individual Paint and Individual Interiors. Here's a new 2016 X5 xDrive 50i in Azurite Black with Smoke White interior. Looks like it has the Individual wheels, too. This dealership is in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay): http://www.bmwconcord.com/new/BMW/2016-BMW-X5-ce9dab630a0e0a6b5144145c21ea19a9.htm

·
Aviator
2,937 Posts
I have no recent experience with Spartanburg, but our Z3 M coupe produced there was an extra $4,500 to be painted in a Porsche color. It added about 4 moths to the build; a total of 6 months leadtime from acceptance of order to production at Spartanburg.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Specifically, I find Singapore Grey very striking. ... Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
What about Donington Grey? It's exclusive to the X5M/X6M at no extra cost. Here's what one looks like in Donington Grey with Aragon Brown Full Merino Leather: http://www.bmwconcord.com/new/BMW/2016-BMW-X5+M-d42872430a0e0a6b63ea0cc038a32681.htm

If you're considering taking delivery at the Performance Center, you're probably going to be looking at a 2017, which means you can use any dealership to handle your order. Just choose wisely. Remember, the lowest price is often not the best deal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen Donington in person. It's ok but prefer darker (3 of last 4 cars have been black). I had a Nissan Maxima that was the exact same color, so I'm not sure how exclusive it is. Haha

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I've seen Donington in person. It's ok but prefer darker (3 of last 4 cars have been black). I had a Nissan Maxima that was the exact same color, so I'm not sure how exclusive it is. Haha
Maybe it's only "exclusive" among BMW's? :D

Ferrari Red is definitely a Ferrari color but everybody else copies it. For only $5,000 you too can have an "exclusive" Ferrari color. I remember a long, long time ago Chevrolet painted a special-order Corvette in Ferrari red and I believe Ferrari threatened GM with court action if they didn't cease immediately. How can you say you have an exclusive right to a color? :rolleyes:

Several months back a dozen guys from the BMW M Owners Club, Indonesia, took delivery of twelve special-order M4's. Some of those cars were painted in Rolls-Royce colors: http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/05/this-is-the-coolest-fleet-of-bmw-m4s/ Jubilee Silver is a Ghost color and Salamanca Blue was the launch car color for the Wraith. Purple Silk Metallic cost $10,000 extra on a Rolls.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts