BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
same but different
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumb: I have just found this site (I had been a regular peruser of the bimmer.org for a couple of years and have found it not to be the same-as many of you know). Anyway to the point: I finally thought that a clutch stop was worth the $25 and today looked down at the floorboard to see what it looked like down there prior to ordering one. After unscrewing the factory stop and seeing how little there was, I thought, hmmm, I can duplicate this! I went to Lowe's and looked in the bolt, etc department and found just the thing. It is a "elevator bolt". Size 10mmX25. It has a flat 1.5 inch head attached to a threaded shaft. I got home and threaded it in to the clutch stop mount on the bimmer-perfect fit. I had to cut ~10 mm off the shaft, threaded on a lock nut, and then used a round self-adhesive furniture pad on the head. I threaded it in and pushed down on the clutch and turned the key. The engine came to life and no messing with the clutch switch (I have one. I backed the stop out several turns and no go. I have a week 6 MY 2000 323Ci). The ergonomics are much improved! The stop is ~1 inch higher than factory and the clutch engagement is ~1 inch from the "full stop" point. I find that very easy to modulate and less tiring. I could never seem to find the best position to get the clutch/brake/accelerator thing together, but now it is a whole new ballgame. As for my size relation, I am 6' and of normal body symmetry (legs vs trunk for those of you in the gutter!!).

Now that I have written this, I am thinking I should market my less expensive alternative! The total cost to me was $1.75 and about 10 minutes in the car.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I think you just blew all possible marketing opportunities. =)

I'm gonna check this out; my clutch has been bothering me lately. Thanks for the tip!

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.