BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced my front center speaker and front tweeters and the improvement is significant. The front tweeters in BMWs are aluminum which is not the ideal material. I replaced them with these JL Audio Silk dome tweeters and the highs are much improved http://www.jlaudio.com/c5-075ct-car-audio-c5-individual-components-crossovers-99106.

I replaced the front center speaker with an Alpine coaxial (again with a silk dome tweeter) and am quite pleased with the overall result. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sps-410/

I had considered the Bavarian Soundwerks package, however, I don't think the mid-bass speakers would really add much over stock. The tweeters are where you should spend your money and the I believe the speakers I purchased are as good or better than the Bav Soundwerks...plus I got them all for about $150. Installation took about an hour - you'll have to remove fromt door trim panels to do it right. I can't wait for my drive to the office tomorrow :D

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure did. Not hard at all. I had to modify the Alpine Speaker to a 3 tab (vs. the 4 that were on it). I simply sawed 2 off and then epoxied one in the correct location. For the tweeters, you'll have to pull your door panels off and then fit the new tweeters into the housing. Definitely worth the effort and money.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Good job. I've always said (as have othe Bimmer owners), that the weak spot in BMW sound was the tweeters. Very dull. One day, it will be in my upgrades. My wife's X5 tweeters are even worse.

· Registered
515 Posts
do you know if their is an alternative to replacing the l7 amp that is much cheaper?
I believe the original amp IC's in the ASK and Logic7 amp are Class-B. Swaping to Class-AB amp IC's should improve the sound. I've currently done this for the left channel in my ASK, but can't really compare as the left channel was always dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.