BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone-
My husband and I are currently stationed overseas and looking into buying the X5. we've got until June 1st since the prices are going up. How are you all enjoying it? Any problems? Another concern is the warranty. We were told by the dealers that once the warranty is up, we can try to extend it yearly. Just wanted to see if that was true. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Marlene

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Another concern is the warranty. We were told by the dealers that once the warranty is up, we can try to extend it yearly. Just wanted to see if that was true.
Welcome to bimmerfest. Hmmm.... there are many warranty options -- a huge list of third-party aftermarket insurers who would be happy to take your money. (And I think less happy to pay for fixing your vehicle...:eeps:)

I assume you are thinking of buying a US-market X5 in the US? If so, the BMW warranty is four years or 50K miles (whichever comes first.) You can extend the warranty with BMW under the original owner protection plan (see www.bmwusa.com for details) which is probably the best option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll have to look that up. By the way, we are ordering the X5 from the U.S. We definitely love the look and feel of it and definitely enjoyed test driving the car on the autobahn. My only concern is all the mechanical problems these current owners are talking about which is starting to scare me off. Any positive comments would be greatly appreciated. A decision needs to be made within the next few days before prices go up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone-
My husband and I are currently stationed overseas and looking into buying the X5. we've got until June 1st since the prices are going up. How are you all enjoying it? Any problems? Another concern is the warranty. We were told by the dealers that once the warranty is up, we can try to extend it yearly. Just wanted to see if that was true. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Marlene
sorry to dissappoint you,, the prices are already up,, however,,the current pile of inventory has some seed mony,,therefore bying a car from stock will be a tremendous benefit,,if you need help,, i will be glad tp provide you with any info,,as far as warranty goes,,you have 4yrs,, 50k, which ever comes first,,then you can upgrade giving that you do not let your original warranty run out,, for an additional 2 yrs or up to 100k,, at additional price

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks! I'll have to look that up. By the way, we are ordering the X5 from the U.S. We definitely love the look and feel of it and definitely enjoyed test driving the car on the autobahn. My only concern is all the mechanical problems these current owners are talking about which is starting to scare me off. Any positive comments would be greatly appreciated. A decision needs to be made within the next few days before prices go up.
the warranty and price increase you can look under the prior comment

if you are a dimplomat or the one that qualifies as a dimplomat,, the warranty will be transfered with you and i can arrange for the special price using the dimplomat program,, we can talk more details if you choose so,,and any stock car is qualifies for that program

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
My take on the reliability issue: You should not expect the semi-bulletproof reliability of a Toyota/Honda. Particularly when you get above the 3 series, there are more features to enjoy -- or ultimately to malfunction. To a considerable extent, this is a matter of context and your previous experience. There is no fool-proof database to reassure you. (Consumer Reports, the closest thing to a neutral data source, calls X5 reliability "average.") There is, however, a warranty -- with the option to extend it.

Buy the X5 and enjoy it; if it proves troublesome within your initial period of ownership, move on to something else or buy an extended warranty when the original runs out.

Concerning prices going up, they just did and I so I do not think there is any special pressure there.

We definitely love the look and feel of it and definitely enjoyed test driving the car on the autobahn. My only concern is all the mechanical problems these current owners are talking about which is starting to scare me off. Any positive comments would be greatly appreciated. A decision needs to be made within the next few days before prices go up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts