BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
do you mean the canister tyle system, or just a can of solvent, sorta like how the seafoam comes??

i've used all of the systems, from the best (snap on motor vac, hands down the best) to bg systems (run on compressed air), pressurized self contained units (both @ dealerships and indy shops), as well as 'run-rite', and other gravity feed systems. there are features and benefits to each, but they are divided into 2 camps.

the 'injector cleaning systems' should be defined as systems that are introduced to the engine via the fuel rail, *through* the injectors. (a la snap on motor vac)

most other systems, including seafoam, are usually introduced via manifold vacuum and 'fog' the intake. this will clean the exterior of the injector tip (usually where the clog occurs), but will not do anything to the interior nozzle or fuel rail where problems are sometimes present. it'll take quite a few tankfulls to get the same effect with the cans that go in the fuel tank. at least by themselves. i usually run a can or two through the intake first, then add one in the tank as an extra measure.

a 'proper' motor vac service does both, as part of the kit is a long nozzle sprayer that can be used to fog the manifold prior to running the cleaning agent through the vehicle.

regardless of what you use, though, the engine should be at operating temps for maximum benefit.

does this 'splain ya some??

df

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
techron is supposed to be good stuff, so it probably doesn't hurt.

most shops that offer a motor vac (trademarked name, btw) will have some sort of promotional information about it somewhere. posters, placards, something. you could call around, chances are there are a few shops nearby that have one.

the next best i have used is the bg product. they also have stuff for cooling systems, and trans, power steering, and engines, but i was not impressed with the 'additives' as much as the thoroughness of the equipment.

i have used plain water to decarbon engines many times as well, it just doesn't work as easily with fuel injected engines unless you fabricate a siphon system, similar to the gravity feed systems like 'run-rite'.

df

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.